§ 6101 Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) “Hotel” means any person engaged in the business of operating a place where the public may, for a consideration, obtain sleeping accommodations and meals and which has at least 6 permanent bedrooms for the use of guests, excluding, however, any charitable, educational or religious institution, summer camp for children, hospital or nursing home.
(2) “Motel” means any person engaged in the business of furnishing, for a consideration, transient guests with sleeping accommodations, bath and toilet facilities, linen service and a place to park an automobile.
(3) “Occupancy” means the use or possession or the right to the use or possession by any person other than a permanent resident of any room or rooms in a hotel, motel or tourist home for any purpose or the right to the use or possession of the furnishings or to the services and accommodations accompanying the use and possession of the room or rooms.
(4) “Occupant” means any person other than a permanent resident who for a consideration, uses, possesses or has a right to use or possess any room or rooms in a hotel, motel or tourist home under any lease, concession, permit, right of access, license or agreement.
(5) “Operator” means any person operating a hotel, motel or tourist home.
(6) “Permanent resident” means any occupant who has occupied or has the right to occupancy of any room or rooms in a hotel, motel or tourist home for at least 5 consecutive months.
(7) “Rent” means the consideration received for occupancy valued in money, whether received in money or otherwise, including all receipts, cash credits and property or services of any kind or nature and also any amount for which the occupant is liable for the occupancy without any deduction therefrom whatsoever.
(8) “Tourist home” means any person who operates a place where tourists or transient guests, for a consideration, may obtain sleeping accommodations and which has at least 5 permanent bedrooms for the use of tourists or transient guests, but which does not have cooking facilities for the use of tourists or transient guests.
§ 6102 Levy of tax and disposition of proceeds.
(a) There is imposed and assessed an excise tax at the rate of 8% of the rent upon every occupancy of a room or rooms in a hotel, motel or tourist home within this State.
(b) The proceeds of this tax shall be distributed as follows: 5% to the State General Fund, 1% to the Beach Preservation Program of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control of the State, 1% annually shall be designated in the proportion in which collected, to the duly established convention and visitors bureau in each county and 1% to the Delaware Tourism Office.
§ 6103 Collection of tax.
The tax shall be collected by the operator from the occupant at the time of the payment of the rent for the occupancy.
30 Del. C. 1953, § 6103; 58 Del. Laws, c. 288.;
§ 6104 Payment of tax.
The amount of the tax collected for each month shall be reported and paid over to the Department of Finance not later than the fifteenth day of the month following the month of collection on forms to be prescribed by the Department of Finance. Interest at the rate of 1 percent per month, or fraction thereof, shall be charged on payments made after the prescribed due date.
30 Del. C. 1953, § 6104; 58 Del. Laws, c. 288.;
§§ 6105-6109 Failure to file or pay; assessments; notice of demand; judgments; refunds [Repealed].
Repealed by 68 Del. Laws, c. 187, § 21, effective Jan. 1, 1992.