State Agencies and Offices Not Created by Constitution
CHAPTER 37. Delaware Commission on Indian Heritage and Culture
The Delaware Commission on Indian Heritage and Culture (“Commission”) is created to establish, maintain, and develop cultural ties between Indians and Indian-Americans; foster a special interest in the historical and cultural backgrounds of both groups, as well as in the economic, political, social, and artistic life of the countries involved; and help study, establish, or promote programs or events that will provide appropriate awareness of the culture, history, heritage, and language of Indians and Indian-Americans.80 Del. Laws, c. 407, § 1;
(a) The Commission shall consist of 9 members who are appointed as follows:
(1) Two members, appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
(2) Two members, appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.
(3) One member, appointed by the Delaware Asian American Business Association.
(4) One member, appointed by the Delaware Association of Physicians of Indian Origin.
(5) One member, appointed by Gujarati Samaj of Delaware.
(6) One member, appointed by the Indo-American Association of Delaware.
(7) One member, appointed by the India U.S. Society of Delaware.
(b) A member of the Commission must be a citizen of the United States descended from Indian ancestry and must hold a professional license in this State, own a business in this State, or reside in this State.
(c) The members of the Commission serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.80 Del. Laws, c. 407, § 1;
(a) The Commission shall elect a Chair at its first meeting in a calendar year and the Chair shall serve until a replacement is elected. If the Chair becomes vacant, the Commission shall elect a new Chair at its next meeting.
(b) The Chair of the Commission has all of the following duties:
(1) Setting a date, time, and place for the meetings of the Commission.
(2) Supervising the preparation and distribution of meeting notices, agendas, minutes, and other documents prepared by or on behalf of the Commission.
(c) If the Chair becomes vacant, the Secretary of State, or the Secretary’s designee, shall fulfill the duties of the Chair contained in subsection (b) of this section until a replacement is elected by the Commission.
(d) A majority of the membership of the Commission constitutes a quorum to conduct official business.80 Del. Laws, c. 407, § 1;
The Commission shall fall under the authority of the Secretary of State and shall have such powers, duties, and functions described in § 3701 of this title and such other duties and functions as may be referred to it by the Governor, the Secretary of State, or the General Assembly.80 Del. Laws, c. 407, § 1;
The members of the Commission shall serve without compensation.80 Del. Laws, c. 407, § 1;