BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend § 3421, Title 14 of the Delaware Code by making deletions as shown by strikethrough and insertions as shown by underline as follows:
§ 3421. Delaware Nursing Incentive Program.
(a) Purpose — It is the intent and purpose of the General Assembly through this subchapter to enable and encourage academically talented Delawareans to pursue nursing careers at State-operated hospitals or non-profit hospitals located in this state.
(b) Awards —
(1) Awards shall be provided for undergraduate education at regionally accredited institutions of higher education or accredited hospital schools of nursing for the following objectives:
a. A course of study leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree, if the award recipient is a registered nurse employed by this State, and also has 5 years or more of state service; or
a. A course of study leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree, if the award recipient is a registered nurse with an aggregate of 5 years or more employment with the State or with non-profit hospitals located in this State;
b. For all other recipients, a course of study leading to certification as a registered nurse or practical nurse.
(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, awards may be made available, on a prorated basis, to employees of the State who are enrolled as part-time nursing students.
(3) The Delaware residence requirement shall not apply to any employee of the State who is enrolled as a part-time nursing student and who has 5 or more years of state service.
(c) Repayment and forgiveness —
(1) For the purposes of this program, qualifying employment shall be employment as a licensed practical nurse or a registered nurse at a state-owned hospital or clinic or a non-profit hospital located in this state.
(2) Loans will be forgiven at the rate of 1 year of employment for 1 year of loan.
Approved July 31, 2019