BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. The Department of Elections Voting Equipment Selection Task Force (“Task Force”) is established to make a recommendation regarding the selection of voting equipment to replace the equipment the Department of Elections (“Department”) currently uses.
Section 2. The Task Force is comprised of the following members or a designee appointed by the member serving by virtue of position:
(1) The State Election Commissioner (“Commissioner”), who shall serve as Chair.
(2) Two members of the Delaware House of Representatives, 1 from each caucus, appointed by the Speaker.
(3) Two members of the Delaware State Senate, 1 from each caucus, appointed by the President Pro Tempore.
(4) A representative from the Governor’s Office, appointed by the Governor.
(5) Two members of the State Board of Elections, representing each of the 2 principal political parties, appointed by the Chair of the Board.
(6) The Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
(7) The Chief Information Officer of the Department of Technology and Information.
(8) The Controller General.
(9) A representative of the State Council for Persons with Disabilities.
Section 3. In order to achieve the purpose of the Task Force:
(1) The Commissioner shall investigate the numerous voting equipment options available on the market and select 3 to 5 options to present to the Task Force. The Commissioner shall select options based on the Commissioner’s assessment of which voting machines will best serve Delaware’s needs, based on function, price, and purchase or leasing options.
(2) The Task Force shall consider the voting equipment options presented by the Commissioner and decide which option to recommend for purchase or lease.
(3) The Task Force may request from the Commissioner or any other relevant source any information it deems relevant to assist in making a determination about which voting equipment option to recommend.
(4) A majority of the members serving on the Task Force shall constitute a quorum to conduct official business.
(5) The Department shall provide administrative staff and resources to the Task Force.
(6) The Task Force Chair shall set the date, time, and place for the initial meeting.
(7) The Task Force shall submit a report of its findings and conclusions to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate no later than March 1, 2017, with copies submitted to the Governor, State Department of Elections, Office of Management and Budget, Department of Technology and Information, Controller General’s Office, Chairs of the Joint Legislative Committee on Capital Improvement Programs, Chairs and Analyst of the Joint Sunset Committee, Director of the Division of Research of Legislative Council, and Delaware Public Archives.
Section 4. The recommendation of the Task Force is advisory, and any purchase or lease of voting equipment must first be approved by the Joint Legislative Committee on Capital Improvement Programs.
Approved June 28, 2016