HOUSE BILL NO. 70
AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 25 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO TENANT OBLIGATIONS CONCERNING A RENTAL.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend § 5503, Title 25 of the Delaware Code by making insertions as shown by underlining and deletions as shown by strikethrough as follows:
§ 5503. Tenant obligations relating to rental unit; waste.
A tenant shall:
(1) Comply with all obligations imposed upon tenants by applicable provisions of all municipal, county and state codes, regulations, ordinances and statutes;
(2) Keep that part of the premises which the tenant occupies and uses as clean and safe as the conditions of the premises permit;
(3) Dispose from the rental unit all ashes, rubbish, garbage and other organic or flammable waste, in a clean and safe manner;
(4) Keep all plumbing fixtures used by the tenant as clean and safe as their condition permits;
(5) Use in a reasonable manner all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating and other facilities and appliances in the premises;
(6) Not willfully or wantonly destroy, deface, damage, repair or remove any part of the structure or rental unit or the facilities, equipment or appurtenances thereto, nor permit any person on the premises with the tenant's permission to do any such thing;
(7) Not remove or tamper with a properly functioning smoke detector installed by the landlord, including removing any working batteries, so as to render the smoke detector inoperative;
(8) Not remove or tamper with a properly functioning carbon monoxide detector installed by the landlord, including removing any working batteries, so as to render the carbon monoxide detector inoperative; and
(9) Comply with all covenants, rules, requirements and the like which are in accordance with §§ 5511 and 5512 of this title; and which the landlord can demonstrate are reasonably necessary for the preservation of the property and persons of the landlord, other tenants or any other person.
Approved June 26, 2013