§ 1351 Functions.
The Department of Community Services, managed by the general manager of the Department, who shall be qualified for the position by education, experience and training, may perform the following functions:
(1) Undertake and execute or supervise the execution of all programs related to library functions, recreational/sports and athletic activities, community development and housing, senior programs, and any or all other community related programs authorized by County administrators;
(2) Administer community services programs offering every resident of New Castle County equal access to services, resources and guidance in their use;
(3) Receive, accept, administer and expend, according to the County budget, any moneys, materials or other aid granted, appropriated or otherwise provided by local, state or federal governments by any source, public or private, in accordance with the terms thereof, for the purposes provided in this division;
(4) Plan, supervise and conduct a program of parks and park-related activities for all of the parks in the County; and
(5) Perform all other activities pertinent to its organizational functions.
§ 1352 Department of Community Services Board.
The Department of Community Services Board shall consist of 9 members. County Council, with the advice and consent of the County Executive, shall appoint 8 members, who shall serve for a term of 3 years, provided that the terms of the original members shall be established in a manner that 3 shall expire each year. The County Executive, with the advice and consent of the County Council, shall appoint a chairperson who shall serve at the pleasure of the County Executive.
The Board shall advise the general manager of the Department of Community Services on issues relating to the functions of the Department.
Subcommittees that are directly related to functions of the Department may be established.
Board members shall be persons of recognized character and ability who meet the qualifications of the Department.
Five members of the Board constitute a quorum. A quorum is necessary for any action or recommendation of the Board.
The Library Advisory Board shall serve as a subcommittee to the Department of Community Services Board. Two members of the Library Advisory Board shall be appointed to the Department of Community Services Board. The chairperson of the Library Advisory Board shall recommend 2 sitting members of the Board for consideration by the County Council for County Council appointments to the Department of Community Services Board.