§ 581 Rates of tax.
(a) All persons required to be licensed under this title as an importer shall, upon the purchase or receipt of alcoholic beverages, pay a tax thereon at the rates set forth in subsection (d) of this section.
(b) All persons licensed under this title to manufacture alcoholic beverages shall pay a tax on all alcoholic beverages sold to customers in this State at the rates set forth in subsection (d) of this section. This subsection shall not apply to sales to customers who are:
(1) Importers of alcoholic beverages subject to licensing under this title;
(2) Distributors of alcoholic beverages licensed by a state other than Delaware where the alcoholic beverages are sold for resale in such other state; or
(3) In the case of sales of beer, an instrumentality of the United States Armed Forces.
(c) Except as provided in subsection (a) or (b) of this section, any person who imports alcoholic beverages for consumption in this State shall pay to the Department of Finance the tax on such imports at the rates set forth in subsection (d) of this section.
(d) The tax payable under this section shall be as follows:
(1) For each barrel of beer, $4.85.
(2) For each gallon of cider, $.16.
(3) For each gallon of wine, $.97.
(4) For each gallon of spirits containing 25 percent or less of ethyl alcohol by volume, $2.50.
(5) For each gallon of spirits containing more than 25 percent ethyl alcohol by volume, $3.75.
(6) For each gallon of alcohol per gallon of ethyl alcohol contained, $4.85, except that the tax of $4.85 shall not apply to the purchase of alcohol by pharmacists, physicians, dentists, veterinarians, wholesale druggists or manufacturing plants where the alcohol is used in scientific work, for the manufacture of pharmaceutical products, or for use in the manufacture or compounding of preparations unfit for beverage purposes.
(e) The Commissioner shall make and publish such rules and regulations with respect to the collection and payment of the taxes imposed by this section as it deems proper, and all such rules and regulations that are not inconsistent with the provisions of this title shall have the force and effect of law.
38 Del. Laws, c. 18, § 16; Code 1935, § 6145; 43 Del. Laws, c. 274, § 1; 4 Del. C. 1953, § 581; 49 Del. Laws, c. 342, § 13; 53 Del. Laws, c. 106; 57 Del. Laws, c. 136, § 30; 57 Del. Laws, c. 741, § 27C; 58 Del. Laws, c. 294, §§ 1, 2; 58 Del. Laws, c. 584, § 1; 62 Del. Laws, c. 113, § 1; 67 Del. Laws, c. 258, § 1; 68 Del. Laws, c. 107, §§ 3, 4; 70 Del. Laws, c. 488, §§ 1, 2, 5; 70 Del. Laws, c. 559, §§ 5, 6; 71 Del. Laws, c. 211, § 5; 72 Del. Laws, c. 486, § 9; 78 Del. Laws, c. 251, § 3.;
§ 582 Refund of tax paid by importers or wholesalers on beer sold to instrumentalities of the armed forces of the United States.
(a) Any tax paid by an importer or wholesaler to the Department of Finance, pursuant to § 581 of this title, on alcoholic liquors that are sold by such importer or wholesaler to an instrumentality of the armed forces of the United States shall be refunded to such importer or wholesaler by the Department of Finance.
(b) Any importer or wholesaler entitled to a refund of tax under this section may, instead of filing a claim for refund, take credit therefor against taxes imposed by § 581 of this title and due upon alcoholic liquor subsequently purchased by such importer or wholesaler.
(c) The Commissioner may make and publish rules and regulations with respect to refunds and credits allowed by this section, and such rules and regulations as are not inconsistent with this title shall have the force and effect of law.
§ 583 Administration of taxes.
Except to the extent inconsistent with specific provisions of this title, the provisions of Chapter 5 of Title 30 shall govern the assessment, collection, review and appeal of deficiencies of tax imposed by this title, and any interest and penalties thereon, and claims for refund of overpayment of taxes imposed by this title.
§ 584 State fees in lieu of county and municipal fees; preemption provision.
The fees, charges and taxes imposed by the State under this title shall be in lieu of all county and municipal license fees and taxes upon the business of manufacturing, supplying, distributing and selling alcoholic liquor as such. Provided, however, general occupational license fees and general taxes imposed uniformly on everyone within the class shall not be preempted.
For purposes of this section, "class" shall not be defined by general or specific reference to manufacturing, supplying, distributing, or selling alcoholic liquor.