§ 9203 Local land use planning actions subject to review process.
(a) All projects meeting any 1 of the following criteria shall undergo a pre-application meeting and review process as set forth in this chapter:
(1) Major residential subdivisions with internal road networks and more than 50 units, excluding previously recorded residential subdivisions of any size which have not been sunsetted.
(2) Any nonresidential subdivision involving structures or buildings with a total floor area exceeding 50,000 square feet, excluding any previously approved and recorded non-residential subdivision regardless of floor area size, or any site plan review involving structures or buildings with a total floor area exceeding 50,000 square feet, excluding any previously approved and recorded non-residential site plan review regardless of floor area size.
(3) Rezonings, conditional uses, site plan reviews and/or subdivisions, within environmentally sensitive areas, as identified within any local jurisdiction's comprehensive plan as certified under § 9103 of this title.
(4) Annexations inconsistent with the local jurisdiction's comprehensive plan as certified under § 9103 of this title.
(5) Applications for rezoning if not in compliance with the local jurisdiction's comprehensive plan as certified under § 9103 of this title.
(6) Any other project which is required to be referred to the State for pre-application review by local jurisdiction regulations.
(7) Any local land use regulation, ordinance or requirement referred to the Office of State Planning Coordination by a local jurisdiction for the purpose of providing the jurisdiction with advisory comments. The land use regulations, ordinances or requirements that are to be referred to the Office of State Planning Coordination may be specified in a jurisdiction's Memorandum of Understanding.
(8) County and municipal comprehensive plans as required by Titles 9 and 22.
(b) Any applicant may voluntarily request to participate in the pre-application review process and shall make such requests in writing to the Office of State Planning Coordination.
§ 9204 Pre-application review process.
(a) Pre-application reviews shall be conducted and concluded, unless otherwise provided for herein, prior to the formal submission of any document required by the first step under any local jurisdiction's land use review regulation, including, but not limited to, a "preliminary" or "sketch" subdivision or site plan, or a written request for a re-zoning, conditional use, or annexation by an applicant to the local jurisdiction. The applicant may elect to initiate the pre-application review process simultaneously with the formal submission or application to any local jurisdiction with an approved Memorandum of Understanding as provided for in § 9205(c) of this title. The applicant is responsible for complying with any and all local regulations and is strongly encouraged to meet with local officials prior to initiating the pre-application review process. The applicant shall be responsible for requesting a pre-application review under this chapter.
(b) The Office of State Planning Coordination shall develop an application and procedures for review and shall be responsible for scheduling and coordinating all pre-application review meetings. Meeting dates shall be designated for 1 or more days certain each month and held in accordance with procedures outlined by the Office of State Planning Coordination. Projects shall be heard at a pre-application meeting within 45 calendar days of receipt of a request by the Office of State Planning Coordination. The Office of State Planning Coordination shall give public notice of all pre-application review meetings by following the requirements of § 10004(e) of this title.
(c) Within 20 business days following the date of the pre-application meeting with the applicant, the Office of State Planning Coordination shall furnish to the applicant and the local jurisdiction a written compilation of all comments received at the meeting. Failure of Office of State Planning Coordination to meet the 20-business-day requirement will result in the State forfeiting the opportunity to comment on the local land use planning action. The length of review may be extended by mutual consent of the Office of State Planning Coordination and the applicant. The local jurisdiction shall be notified immediately of any mutually acceptable delays.
(d) Following the pre-application review process and upon filing of an application with the local jurisdiction, the applicant shall provide to the local jurisdiction and the Office of State Planning Coordination a written response to comments received as a result of the pre-application process, noting whether comments were incorporated into the project design or not and the reason therefore.
§ 9205 State agency authorities, roles and responsibilities.
(a) All state agencies shall participate in the pre-application review process if requested by the Office of State Planning Coordination and shall provide such assistance and advice as requested by the Office of State Planning Coordination.
(b) In special circumstances, the Office of State Planning Coordination may waive the pre-application requirements of this chapter. Where such waiver is granted, the Office of State Planning Coordination shall provide a written explanation of the causes for the waiver to the relevant local jurisdiction and the applicant. These circumstances may include, but are not limited to, local governments that impose a more stringent review of projects enumerated in § 9203(a) of this title than required by this chapter, or for projects which will provide an extraordinary benefit to the State and the local jurisdiction through economic development, job creation, educational opportunities, public services or facilities, agricultural preservation or protection and enhancement of the natural environment.
(c) In order to more effectively coordinate with the local land-use process, the Office of State Planning Coordination shall, through a memorandum of understanding agreed to by both parties, exempt the local jurisdiction from the provisions of this chapter or modify the pre-application review process specified herein when the local jurisdiction has a Certified Comprehensive Plan and imposes a more stringent review of projects enumerated in § 9203(a) of this title than required by this chapter.
(d) The Office of State Planning Coordination shall coordinate, where possible, the other state review processes including but not limited to the transportation agreements specified in Title 9, and other state land use review and permitting processes.
§ 9206 Local jurisdiction authorities, roles and responsibilities.
(a) Nothing in this subchapter shall be construed to deny local jurisdictions their final decision-making authority over proposed local land use planning actions.
(b) The local jurisdiction shall, in accordance with this chapter, make its final decision and notify the Office of State Planning Coordination of such decision as soon as possible.