§ 6971 Establishment of a branch captive.
A branch captive may be established in this State in accordance with the provisions of this chapter to write any line of business for which captive insurance companies are authorized under § 6903(a) of this title. In addition to the general provisions of this chapter, the provisions of this subchapter shall apply to branch captive insurance companies.
§ 6972 Definitions.
As used in this subchapter, unless the context require otherwise:
(1) "Alien captive insurance company'' means any insurance company formed to write insurance business of a nature that the Commissioner determines is otherwise permissible under this chapter and is licensed pursuant to the laws of an alien jurisdiction which imposes statutory or regulatory standards in a form acceptable to the Commissioner on companies transacting the business of insurance in such jurisdiction.
(2) "Branch business'' means any insurance business transacted by a branch captive insurance company in this State.
(3) "Branch captive insurance company'' means any alien captive insurance company that has been issued a certificate of authority by the Commissioner to transact the business of insurance in this State through a business unit with a principal place of business in this State, and has not otherwise been issued a certificate of authority by the Commissioner to transact insurance under this chapter.
(4) "Branch operations'' means any business operations of a branch captive insurance company in this State.
§ 6973 Security required.
(a) No branch captive insurance company shall be issued a license unless it shall possess and thereafter maintain, as security for the payment of liabilities attributable to the branch operations:
(1) Minimum capital and surplus as set forth in § 6905 of this title; and
(2) Reserves on such insurance policies or such reinsurance contracts as may be issued or assumed by the branch captive insurance company through its branch operations, including reserves for losses, allocated loss adjustment expenses, incurred but not reported losses, and unearned premiums with regard to business written through the branch operations; provided, however, the Commissioner may permit a branch captive insurance company to credit against any such reserve requirement either of the following:
a. Assets belonging to the branch captive insurance company that are in trust for, or otherwise segregated and controlled by, a ceding company, that secure the reinsurance obligations of the branch captive insurance company to such ceding company; or
b. Assets belonging to a reinsurer if held in trust for, or otherwise under the control of the branch captive insurance company and that secure the obligations of such reinsurer to the branch captive insurance company.
(b) Subject to the prior approval of the Commissioner, the amounts required in paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section may be held in the form of:
(1) A trust formed under a trust agreement and funded by assets acceptable to the Commissioner;
(2) An irrevocable letter of credit issued or confirmed by a bank approved by the Commissioner; or
(3) Any combination thereof.
(c) The Commissioner may, on a case by case basis, exempt a branch captive insurance company from any or all of the requirements of this section, provided the Commissioner finds satisfactory evidence of the branch captive insurer's financial stability.
§ 6974 Annual reports.
(a) Notwithstanding § 6907 of this title, a branch captive insurance company shall file with the Commissioner a copy of all reports and statements required to be filed under the laws of the jurisdiction in which the alien captive insurance company is formed, verified by oath of two of its executive officers. Such reports and statements shall be filed with the Commissioner on the same day that such reports and statements are due in the domiciliary jurisdiction of the alien captive insurance company.
(b) If the Commissioner is satisfied that the annual report filed in accordance with subsection (a) of this section provides adequate information concerning the financial condition of the branch captive insurance company, the Commissioner may waive the requirement for completion of the annual report required under § 6907 of this title. If the Commissioner is not satisfied with the reports and statements filed pursuant to subsection (a) of this section, a report that meets the requirements of § 6907 of this title shall be filed with the Commissioner at such date as the Commissioner shall establish.
(c) If the alien captive insurance company is not required to file reports or statements in its domiciliary jurisdiction, the requirements of § 6907 of this title shall apply.
§ 6975 Examination of branch captives.
(a) The examination of a branch captive insurance company pursuant to § 6908 of this title shall be of branch business and branch operations only, so long as the branch captive insurance company provides annually to the Commissioner a certificate of compliance, or its equivalent, issued by or filed with the licensing authority of the domiciliary jurisdiction of the alien captive insurance company, and demonstrates to the Commissioner's satisfaction that it is operating in sound financial condition in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations of such jurisdiction.
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, if the Commissioner elects to waive any of the requirements of § 6973 of this title pursuant to § 6973(c) of this title, the Commissioner shall examine so much of the financial condition and affairs of the alien captive insurance company as the Commissioner deems appropriate.
(c) As a condition of the issuance of a certificate of authority under this chapter, the alien captive insurance company shall grant authority to the Commissioner for examination of the affairs of such alien captive insurance company in the jurisdictions in which the alien captive insurance company is formed, operates or maintains books and records.
§ 6976 Taxation of branch captives.
In the case of a branch captive insurance company, the tax provided for in § 6914 of this title shall apply only to the branch business of such company.