BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend § 1108, Title 17 of the Delaware Code by making deletions as shown by strike through and insertions shown by underline as follows:
(a) Subject to subsection (c) of this section, no outdoor advertising sign, display or device, except a directional, gateway, or warning sign, official sign or notice erected by or with the approval of the Department, shall be erected subsequent to July 14, 1969, within 25 feet of the right-of-way line of any public highway if visible from any portion of the same.
(b) Subject to subsection (c) and subsection (d) of this section, no outdoor advertising sign, display or device, except a
directional, gateway, or warning sign, official sign or notice gateway sign or historical marker erected by or with the approval of the Department, shall be erected or maintained:
(1) On the right-of-way of any public highways;
(2) Within 25 feet of any public playground, school or church if visible from any portion of the same;
(3) Upon the inside curves or at or near a railroad crossing or a highway intersection, if such would obstruct or interfere with the view of a train, locomotive, streetcar or other vehicle at or approaching such crossing or intersection or so as to obstruct the view of such intersection or crossing or of a turn or a sharp change in alignment or in any manner dangerous to the public;
(4) If such sign, display or device is obsolete or is not in good physical condition;
(5) If such sign, display or device is not securely affixed to a substantial structure or in any way endangers traffic on any public highway.
(c) Subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to outdoor advertising signs, displays or devices which advertise the sale or lease of, or activities conducted upon, the real property where they are located, or any outdoor advertising signs displayed on any school bus waiting shelter located and approved by the State Department of Education.
(d) Beautification/landscape planting sponsorship signs located within the right-of-way of any public highway shall be erected or placed as defined below and as such are exempt from this chapter and section:
(1) Signs under the above provision denoting the name of the person(s) or organization sponsoring/or donating, planting and/or maintaining beautification/landscape projects shall require an approved right-of-way use agreement issued by the Department of Transportation;
(2) Such signs shall not exceed 6 square feet and shall be constructed, painted and lettered according to standards for material and fabrication as required by the Department of Transportation.
Approved May 28, 2015