HOUSE BILL NO. 153
AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 14 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR HIGHER EDUCATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend § 3423, Subchapter III, Chapter 34, Title 14 of the Delaware Code by removing such section in its entirety and substituting in lieu thereof the following:
"§ 3423. Ada Leigh Soles Memorial Professional Librarian and Archivist Incentive Program.
(a) Purpose -- It is the intent and purpose of this program to enable and encourage academically talented Delawareans to pursue careers as librarians and archivists in the public libraries, public school libraries, state agencies and political subdivisions of Delaware.
(b) Awards --
(1) Awards shall be provided for graduate education in master's degree programs of library and information studies that are accredited by the American Library Association. Preference shall be given to persons currently employed by a Delaware public library, county department of libraries, public school library or state agency library or archive.
(2) Awards may also be provided for a course of study leading to a bachelor’s degree prior to the master’s degree and/or a doctoral degree following the master’s degree. Awards shall be limited to persons who have been employed at a Delaware public library, county department of libraries, public school library or state agency library or archive for a minimum of two years.
(3) Selection criteria may include consideration of community service, academic achievement and financial need.
(c) Repayment and forgiveness --
(1) For purposes of this program, qualifying employment shall be employment as a librarian or archivist in a public library, public school library, state agency or political subdivision in Delaware.
(2) Loans will be forgiven at the rate of 1 year of employment for 1 year of loan for bachelor’s degree students, and 2 years of employment for 1 year of loan for master’s and doctoral degree students."
Approved October 18, 2011