SENATE BILL NO. 289
AS AMENDED BY
SENATE AMENDMENT NO. 1
AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 31 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO THE INTERSTATE COMPACT FOR JUVENILES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend Subchapter III, Chapter 52, Title 31 of the Delaware Code by inserting a new section "§5229" therein consisting of the following language:
"§5229. State Council for Interstate Juvenile Supervision.
(a) The State Council for Interstate Juvenil e Supervision is hereby established and shall consist of eight members as follows:
(1) The Cabinet Secretary of the Department of Services for Children, Youth and Their Families, or the Cabinet Secretary’s designee.
(2) The Director of Division of You th Rehabilitative Services, or the Director's designee.
(3) Two members of the Delaware Senate appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate to serve at the pleasure of the President Pro Tempore, one from each major political party.
(4) Two members of the Delaware House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House to serve at the pleasure of the Speaker of the House, one from each major political party.
(5) A member of the state family court judiciary appointed by the Chief Judg e of the Delaware Family Court to serve at the pleasure of the Chief Judge.
(6) The Juvenile Compact Administrator appointed by the Secretary of the Department of Services for Children, Youth and Their Families as outlined in §5221 of Title 31.
(7) Tw o members appointed by the Governor who shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor. At least one of these appointments must be a representative of a victims’ assistance or advocacy organization.
(b) The State Council shall exercise oversight and advocacy concerning the State’s participation in Interstate Commission activities and other duties including, but not limited to, the development of policy concerning operations and procedures of the compact within the State.
(c) By majority vote of the members, the State Council for Interstate Juvenile Supervision shall select a chairperson.
(d) The State Council shall meet at least twice each year.".
Approved July 12, 2010