HOUSE BILL NO. 71
AS AMENDED BY
HOUSE AMENDMENT NO. 1
AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 14 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO THE DELAWARE ADVISORY COUNCIL ON CAREER EDUCATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE :
Section 1. Amend Title 14, Chapter 86 of the Delaware Code by striking it in its entirety and by substituting in lieu thereof the following.
“Chapter 86. Delaware Advisory Council on Career and Technical Education
(a) It is the purpose of the General Assembly of the State, through this Chapter, to establish and maintain the Delaware Advisory Council on Career and Technical Education (DACCTE). DACCTE is established to advise the Governor, General Assembly, Secretary of Education and the State Board of Education on all matters pertaining to career and technical education with emphasis on recommending policies and initiatives that should be pursued to strengthen and modernize the career and technical education delivery system.
(b) Further, it is the intent and purpose of the General Assembly to provide an objective agency to conduct evaluations, program reviews and serve as a clearinghouse for state and national information on career and technical education, so that citizens have access to the experience and judgment of lay and professional groups from the fields of employment and education in the formation of public policies.
(a) Members of the Delaware Advisory Council on Career and Technical Education shall be appointed by the Governor and shall serve at the Governor’s pleasure. Such membership shall include:
(1) A person or persons knowledgeable about the vocational needs and the problems of management and labor in the State;
(2) A person or persons representative of industrial and economic development agencies;
(3) A person or persons representative of institutions of higher education;
(4) A person or persons representative of institutions which provide programs of career and technical education and training;
(5) A person or persons knowledgeable about programs in technical and career education;
(6) A person or persons representative of school boards;
(7) A person or persons knowledgeable about students with special needs;
(8) A person or persons representative of business and industry familiar with current and projected employment opportunities;
(9) A person or persons representative of career and technical student organizations;
(10) A person or persons representative of the Delaware National Guard; and
(11) A person or persons representative of the general public, interest in public education.
(b) The Chairperson of DACCTE shall be a representative of the private sector and shall be selected by the members of the Council.
§8603. Duties and responsibilities.
The Advisory Council on Career and Technical Education shall:
(1) Advise policymakers on the development of the State Plan for Career and Technical Education and any amendments to the State Plan.
(2) Recommend policies that the State should pursue to strengthen career and technical education and related initiatives.
(3) Evaluate career and technical education programs, services, activities and career initiatives throughout the state.
(4) Provide technical assistance to local school districts, agencies and other organizations to enhance and improve the career and technical education delivery system.
(5) Analyze and report on the distribution of funds for career and technical education and on the availability of career and technical education activities and services within the state.
(6) Promote coordination, collaboration and effective partnerships among business, industry, labor, education and employment and training programs to help meet the economic needs of the state.
(7) Disseminate relevant career information to teachers, counselors, students and the general public.
(8) Schedule and conduct at least four regular meetings each year at which the public is given opportunity to express views concerning career and technical education. The time, place and manner of meeting shall be determined by the Council.
§8604. Acceptance of and compliance with federal and state legislation and regulations.
(a) The State accepts the benefits of the Vocational Education Act of 1963 (Public Law 88-210) and any amendments and subsequent legislation related thereto, including Title 20, Chapter 44, of the United States Code.
(b) In accepting such benefits, the State will observe and comply with the requirements of such acts and any amendments and regulations related thereto.
(c) The Delaware Advisory Council on Career and Technical Education shall comply with the provisions of the Vocational Education Act of 1963 (Public Law 88-210); Title 20, Chapter 44, of the United States Code; Title 14, Chapter 17, Section 1706, of the Delaware Code and subsequent acts, amendments and regulations related thereto.
(d) The State Treasurer shall be the fiscal agent for the Delaware Advisory Council on Career and Technical Education and shall make disbursements upon the order of the Council to carry out its functions.
§8605. Member reimbursement.
Members shall serve without pay and may be reimbursed for travel in connection with their responsibilities.
The Council is authorized to obtain the services of such professional, technical and clerical personnel and to contract for such services as may be necessary to enable it to carry out the duties and responsibilities of this chapter.”
Approved June 14, 2005