HOUSE BILL NO. 656
AS AMENDED BY HOUSE AMENDMENT NO. 1
AN ACT TO AMEND DELAWARE LAWS TO NAME THE STATE OWNED RAILROAD STATION BUILDING IN DOVER THE GEORGE V. MASSEY STATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE :
WHEREAS, George V. Massey, a prominent Dover Lawyer designed the new Railroad Station on Loockerman Street after prevailing upon the Pennsylvania Railroad Company to build the replacement station; and
WHEREAS, George V. Massey born December 16, 1841, West Whiteland, Chester County, Pennsylvania, moved to Dover, Delaware in 1852 and died October 21, 1924 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He married Mary Woodall, in Dover, Delaware, daughter of John and Anne Matilda (Calley) Woodall, of Little Creek Hundred, Kent County, Delaware; and
WHEREAS, George V. Massey, Adjutant General of Volunteers, War of Rebellion. Mr. Massey was a Lawyer, engaged in practice, in Dover, Delaware from 1865-1895. He was Solicitor for the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad Company from 1876-1895, Assistant General Solicitor from 1895-1902, General Counsel from November 26, 1902 through December 31, 1911, Pennsylvania Railroad Member Board of Control, World’s Columbian Exposition, Chicago, 1893, Commissioner General on behalf of the United States at the International Exposition at Antwerp, Belgium in 1894.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE
NOW, THEREFORE, be it enacted by the House of Representatives, of the 140th General Assembly, the Senate concurring, that the State owned railroad building on Loockerman Street in the City of Dover be renamed the George V. Massey Station, with suitable signage be erected to recognize Mr. Massey.
Approved July 13, 2000