HOUSE BILL NO. 246
AS AMENDED BY HOUSE AMENDMENT NO. 1
AN ACT TO AMEND CHAPTER 100, TITLE 16 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO 911; ENHANCED EMERGENCY NUMBER SERVICE.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend Section 10004, Chapter 100, Title 16 of the Delaware Code by adding a new subsection, designated as subsection (c), which new subsection shall read as follows:
"(c). To the extent of the Commission's authority relative to assignment of 'NI I' telephone numbers, the Commission shall not authorize telegraph corporations, telephone corporations or any corporation supplying telephone service within the state to:
"a. establish any three digit number with 11 as the last two digits for any commercial purpose, or
b. establish any three digit number with 11 as the last two digits for public safety purposes except as recommended by a review committee established by subsection (d).
(d). A committee to review the need for a three digit number for public safety purposes is hereby established consisting of the following:
1. A representative from the Department of Public Safety appointed by the Secretary of Public Safety.
2. A representative from the State Fire Prevention Commission appointed by the Chair of the Commission.
3. A representative from the Delaware Volunteer Fireman's Association appointed by the President of the Association.
4. A representative from the Delaware State Police appointed by the Superintendent of State Police.
5. A representative from the Delaware State Police Chief's Council appointed by the Chairman of the Council.
6. A representative from the Delaware 911 Users Group elected from its members.
7. A representative appointed by the Governor.
The Committee shall select a chair from its members and review the use of such numbers upon request. The committee by majority vote shall either approve or dissaprove the request, and shall submit its recommendation to the Commission. The Committee shall conduct its meetings and hearings in accord with the Freedom of Information Act, Chapter 100 of Title 29 of the Delaware Code."
Approved June 16, 1997