HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 4
AS AMENDED BY HOUSE AMENDMENT NOS. 1 AND 2
CREATING A TASK FORCE ON PRISON FACILITIES TO EVALUATE THE FEASIBILITY OF BUILDING A NEW MAXIMUM SECURITY PRISON, AND TO IDENTIFY A SITE OR SITES UPON WHICH SUCH A PRISON MIGHT BE BUILT.
WHEREAS, the population in Delaware prisons on December I, 1981, was 1,397: and WHEREAS, the population in Delaware prisons as of December I, 1994, was 3,979: and WHEREAS, the last prison built in Delaware was opened on December 28, 1991: and
WHEREAS, the continuing rise in the prison population is a national trend: and
WHEREAS, the rise in prison population creates administrative inefficiencies and security risks: and
WHEREAS, certain minimum standards for space and facilities are mandated by federal courts: and
WHEREAS, the need for additional prison facilities must be fully evaluated. NOW, THEREFORE:
BE IT RESOLVED by the House of Representatives of the 138th General Assembly of the State of Delaware, the Senate concurring therein, that a Task Force on Prison Facilities is hereby created. Said Task Force shall evaluate the feasibility of building a new maximum security prison and shall attempt to identify a site or sites upon which such a prison might be built.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Task Force on Prison Facilities shall consist of the following members:
1. The Chairs of the House of Representatives Corrections Committee and Senate Adult and Juvenile Corrections Committees, who shall be the Co-chairs of the Task Force.
2. The Commissioner of Corrections.
3. The Governor's Counsel.
4. The Comptroller General.
5. The Attorney General.
6. A member of the Delaware State Police, appointed by the Superintendent.
8. A member of the New Castle County Police Force, to be appointed by the Chief of the New Castle County Police Force.
8. Two persons to be appointed by the Speaker of the Delaware House of Representatives.
9. Two persons to be appointed by the President Pro 'fern of the Delaware Senate.
11. A member of the Wilmington Police Force, to be appointed by the Chief of the Wilmington Police Force.
12. The Secretary of Public Safety of the State or Delaware.
13. 'I'he President of the Delaware Correctional Officer's Association.
14. One member from each of the minority caucuses of the I louse and Senate. to be appointed by the Speaker of the Delaware House of Representatives and the President Pro Tem of the Delaware Senate, respectively.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that Legislative Council shall furnish any necessary clerical and support staff to the Task Force.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this Task Force shall report its findings and conclusions to the Governor and the General Assembly by June 1, 1995.
Approved April 3, 1995