HOUSE BILL NO. 184
AN ACT TO AMEND § 7904, CHAPTER 79, TITLE 29 OF THE DELAWARE CODE, TO ESTABLISH THE DIVISION OF PUBLIC HEALTH UNDER THE DIRECTION AND CONTROL OF THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND SOCIAL SERVICES AND TO STATE THE MISSION OF THE DIVISION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend § 7904, Title 29 of the Delaware Code, by striking said section in its entirety and inserting the following in lieu thereof;
"§ 7904. Division of Public Health; Department of Health and Social Services.
(a) There is hereby established the Division of Public Health under the direction and control of the Secretary of the Department of Health and Social Services for the purpose of protecting and promoting the health of the people.
(b) 'Core public health and preventive services' as used in this section are those activities that lay the groundwork for health communities. They are activities that protect people from diseases and injury. They include activities that: (i) prevent and control communicable disease epidemics; (ii) promote healthy behaviors to control chronic disease; (iii) monitor the health of the population through data analysis and epidemiological studies; (iv) result in policies to promote the health of the public; (v) assure quality health services and systems for the population; (vi) result in the setting of standards for the protection of the public's health; (vii) provide assistance during disasters; (viii) assess environmental health risks; and (ix) offer health protection strategies to environmental control agencies.
(c) The mission of the Division is to protect and promote the health of the people. The Division's responsibilities include the following:
(1) Monitor and assess the health status of the population of the State.
(2) Use scientific knowledge as the basis to promote public policy to protect the health of the people.
(3) Perform duties and functions as may be necessary to assure the protection of the public's health.
(d) The Division shall provide core public health and preventive services that include the following:
(1) Advocate for and facilitate a strong public health delivery system that assures all Delaware citizens have access to core public health and preventive services.
(2) Serve as the focal point in bringing together public and private entities to create public health objectives and strategies for Delaware.
(3) Facilitate and support community efforts, including the creation of public/private partnerships, for the prevention of disease and injury and the promotion of health.
(4) Monitor the health of the population through the collection and analysis of data on health status, including epidemiological and other studies of health problems.
(5) Develop and provide information on the prevention and control of health problems affecting the population, including environmentally-related illness, communicable disease, chronic disease, injury and such other problems as may affect the public's health.
(e) The Secretary of the Department of Health and Social Services shall receive and disburse all funds available to the State from any source including, but not limited to, the United States Government, to be used for the benefit of the public health, unless the receipt and disbursal of such funds is otherwise provided by law.
(f) The Director of the Division shall be the State Health Officer and State Registrar of Vital Statistics and shall have the power to perform and shall be responsible for the performance of all of the powers, duties and functions as delegated to him by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Social Services."
Approved July 7, 1995