SENATE BILL NO. 170
AS AMENDED BY SENATE AMENDMENT NO. 1
AN ACT TO AMEND CHAPTER 79, TITLE 29, DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO VOLUNTEER SERVICES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend §7914, Title 29, Delaware Code by deleting the "." at the end of said section and substituting in lieu thereof the following: ", as follows, which shall be performed by the Director, or his or her duly authorized designee, with the approval of the Secretary:
(1) Encourage and enable persons from all walks of life and from all age groups to perform constructive volunteer services;
(1) Establish methods for supporting and promoting private sector leadership and responsibility for meeting public needs;
(1) Promote communication and collaboration between public and private volunteer programs in the State and between the State and the private sector's initiatives in meeting human needs;
(1) Develop, implement and maintain a volunteer clearing house to disseminate information on volunteer opportunities in the State;
(2) Develop strategies for more effective contributions of time, talent and resources for community projects by businesses, foundations, religious and civic groups and others;
(1) Collect, maintain and share information on private initiatives, community, partnerships and creative solutions undertaken by businesses, foundations, voluntary organizations, religious institutions and other private sector groups in the State, in order to promote their broader use;
(1) Provide, or arrange for the provision of, training and technical assistance to public and private organizations engaged in volunteer recruitment and programming;
(2) Develop, implement and maintain a state plan for public recognition and support of individual volunteer efforts and successful or promising private sector initiatives and public/private partnerships which address community needs;
(1) Identify obstacles to private sector initiatives and citizen participation and develop resources and systems which not only eliminate such obstacles but which also provide new incentives to encourage citizens and the private sector to volunteer and/or undertake new community service initiatives;
(1) Directly administer those statewide volunteer programs which are currently administered within the Department of Health and Social Services and any other such volunteer program which may subsequently be assigned to this Department by the Governor or the General Assembly;
(2) Serve as the State's liaison to the Federal ACTION agency and to other appropriate national and state organizations which relate to this section; and
(3) Assume such other powers, duties and functions as the Secretary may assign which are in keeping with this section and not otherwise inconsistent with the law."
Approved July 8, 1993.