SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 18
AS AMENDED BY
SENATE AMENDMENT NOS. 1 AND 2 AND HOUSE AMENDMENT NO. I
ESTABLISHING A DELAWARE WATER AND WASTEWATER INFRASTRUCTURE COMMITTEE TO DEFINE AND DESCRIBE THE NEEDS OF THE STATE'S WATER SUPPLY AND WASTEWATER FACILITIES.
WHEREAS, a need exists to develop an environmentally sound and cost effective plan of action to construct, maintain, repair, replace, expand and upgrade Delaware's water supply and wastewater infrastructure, and
WHEREAS, the Delaware Public Policy Institute sponsored a Water Resources Planning Retreat in March of 1992, to identify the problems of water supply and wastewater infrastructure in the State of Delaware, and
WHEREAS, the fourteen individuals that participated in the Retreat, who represented a cross section of affected public and private Interests, produced a list of objectives and a list of action items needed to address the water supply and wastewater infrastructure problems of the State.
BE IT RESOLVED by the Senate and the House of Representatives of the 136th General Assembly of the State of Delaware, with the approval of the Governor, that the Delaware Water and Wastewater Infrastructure Committee is hereby established. This Committee shall review and address:
(1) gaps and inconsistencies in state, county and local planning for water supply and wastewater management;
(2) methods to encourage cooperation and coordination among state, county, and local jurisdictions with respect to planning, design, and construction of water supply and wastewater facilities;
(B) methods for assisting the economically disadvantaged to afford
adequate water supply and wastewater services;
(3) methods to overcome resistance to paying for proper planning and funding of new, expanded, or upgraded facilities;
(4) the financial needs for water supply and wastewater facilities and methods to assure equitable funding for those services;
(a) the institutional framework to administer the Committee's
(5) any needed legislation to implement the Committee's recommendations.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Delaware Water and Wastewater Infrastructure Committee shall consist of the following voting members or a designee:
(1) Audubon Society, represented by Grace Pierce—Beck;
(2) City of Wilmington, represented by William G. Turner;
(3) Consulting Engineers Council, represented by Stephan Lehm;
(4) Delaware Contractors Association, represented by Joseph 3. Corrado, Jr.,;
(5) Delaware Development Office, represented by John J. Casey, Jr.,;
(1) Delaware Public Policy Institute, represented by James McGinnis,
(6) Department of Finance, represented by Debra Chambliss von Kock;
(1) Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control, represented by Gerard L. Esposito;
(1) Farm Bureau, represented by G. Wallace Caulk, Jr.;
(1) Investor owned wastewater utilities, represented by Lee J. Beetschen;
(A) Investor owned water supply utilities, represented by Peter N. Johnson;
(1) Kent County, represented by Robert S. McLeod;
(1) League of Local Governments, represented by Dr. John Adams;
(1) New Castle County, represented by John C. Carney;
(1) Sussex County, represented by Robert L. Stickels;
(1) Sussex County Association of Towns, represented by John E. Messick;
(1) Delaware Association of Realtors, represented by Donald P. Hearn.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that an affirmative vote of two—thirds of the members of the Committee shall be required for any action or recommendation of the Committee to be adopted.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Committee shall hold its first meeting on or before August 1, 1992 and shall be called to order by the Chairman.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Committee shall make a full report of its deliberations, findings-, conclusions, and recommendations regarding the above listed responsibilities to the General Assembly on or before January 15, 1993.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control shall provide such reasonable staff and resources as may be necessary for the Committee to fulfill this resolution.
Approved July 22, 1992.