HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 9
ESTABLISHING A WELLHEAD PROTECTION PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE TO FORMULATE LEGISLATION FOR THE ENACTMENT OF A WELLHEAD PROTECTION PROGRAM IN DELAWARE.
WHEREAS, sixty percent of the residents of the State of Delaware rely on groundwater as their sole source of drinking water; and
WHEREAS, certain land uses and activities can be detrimental to groundwater supplies; and
WHEREAS, the United States Congress has mandated the protection of groundwater supplies through the wellhead protection provisions of the 1986 amendments to the Safe Drinking Water Act; and
WHEREAS, the United States Environmental Protection Agency granted final approval of the State of Delaware's Wellhead Protection Plan on July 31, 1990.
BE IT RESOLVED by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the 136TH General Assembly of the State of Delaware, with the approval of the Governor, that the Delaware Wellhead Protection Program Committee is hereby established.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Delaware Wellhead Protection Program Committee shall consist of the following ex—officio non—voting members or their designee:
(1) The Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control, who shall also serve as Chair of the Committee;
(1) The Chairman of the House of Representatives Natural Resources Committee;
(2) The Chairman of the Senate Natural Resources Committee.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Delaware Wellhead Protection Committee shall consist of the following voting members or their designee:
1. President State Farm Bureau;
2. President Council of Farm Organizations;
3. Master State Grange;
4. Executive Director, Delaware Homebuilders Association;
5. Executive Director, Delaware Contractors Association;
6. President, Delaware Association of Realtors;
7. President, Delaware Audubon Society;
8. Executive Director, League of Women Voters;
9. Executive Director, Delaware Nature Society;
10. Executive Director, Delaware League of Local Governments;
11. President or Designee of Committee of 100;
12. President or Designee, Sussex County Association of Towns.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that an affirmative vote of nine (9) members of the Committee shall be required for any action or recommendation of the Committee to be adopted.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Committee shall hold its first meeting on or before August 7, 1991 and shall be called to order by the Chairman.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Committee shall make a report to the General Assembly. This report shall include draft legislation for a Wellhead Protection Program for the State of Delaware. Said report shall be made to the General Assembly on or before January 15, 1992.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control shall provide such reasonable staff and resources as may be necessary for the Committee to fulfill this Resolution.
Approved July 18, 1991.