SENATE BILL NO. 82
AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 21 AND TITLE 30 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO MOTOR VEHICLES WHICH ARE EXEMPT FROM CERTAIN FEES; AND PROVIDING THAT RED CROSS VEHICLES SHALL BE EXEMPT FROM SUCH FEES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend §2159, Chapter 21, Part II, Title 21 of the Delaware Code by striking subsection (a) in its entirety, and substituting in lieu thereof the following:
"(a) The following motor vehicles shall be registered, but shall be exempt from the payment of registration fees:
(1) All motor vehicles of the State or any governmental agency thereof, including school buses owned by private contractors holding valid pupil
transportation contracts with a school district or with the State Board of Education, or of any fire department, fire engine company, police department or any county or incorporated city or town thereof, used exclusively in the performance of the principal's, official's, employee's or agent's respective functions or duties;
(2) All motor ambulances owned and used by any agency in this State for charitable purposes, or for the benefit of any hospital or hospitals in this State;
(3) All motor vehicles owned by any veteran's organization, and used by such organization in charitable or public welfare work;
(4) All motor vehicles owned and used by the Delaware Civil Air Patrol (CAP) registered in this State, and used by such organization for its respective functions or duties; and
(5) All motor vehicles owned by the American Red Cross, and used by such organization in charitable or public welfare work.
The Secretary shall furnish, without cost, certain number and registration plates for all such vehicles, of such design as will distinguish them from other plates for which fees are paid. Number and registration plates for certain motor vehicles of the fire departments and fire companies of this State shall have such design and bear such numbers, words and letters as are provided in subsection (b) of this Section. Nothing herein contained shall be construed as exempting such vehicles from the requirement of inspection."
Section 2. Amend Subsection (a), Section 3002, Chapter 30, Title 30 of the Delaware Code by striking paragraph (6) of said subsection, and substituting in lieu thereof the following:
"(6) All motor vehicles, trailers or motorcycles purchased, transferred,
registered, owned, operated or used by: this State, its agencies and departments; any political subdivision of the State; the American Legion; Veterans of Foreign Wars; any volunteer fire company; the Delaware Civil Air Patrol; and the American Red Cross; or"
Approved May 18, 1987