CHAPTER 534

FORMERLY

SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 12

AUTHORIZING AND DIRECTING THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL TO DESIGN AND INSTALL IN AN APPROPRIATE PLACE A PLAQUE COMMEMORATING THE CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS AND THE DELAWAREANS WHO SERVED THEREIN.

WHEREAS, the Civilian Conservation Corps was created by Congress in 1933 to hire unemployed young men for public conservation work; and

WHEREAS, the CCC provided training and employment for more than 2 million young Americans before it was abolished by Congress in 1942; and

WHEREAS, thousands of Delawareans served in the CCC and helped conserve and develop America's invaluable natural resources by such activities as planting trees, fighting forest fires, and building dams; and

WHEREAS, it is appropriate that a plaque be installed to commemorate the CCC and those who served in it;

NOW, THEREFORE:

BE IT RESOLVED by the Senate and the House of Representatives of the 133rd General Assembly. the Governor concurring therein, that the Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control is hereby authorized and directed to design and install in an appropriate place a commemorative plaque honoring the Civilian Conservation Corps and the thousands of Delawareans who contributed to the preservation of our natural resources by serving therein; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that a copy of this Senate Joint Resolution be forwarded to Secretary John E. Wilson, ill, of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control upon Its adoption and signing by the Governor.

Approved May 21, 1986.