HOUSE BILL NO. 530
AS AMENDED BY HOUSE AMENDMENT NO. 1
AN ACT TO AMEND CHAPTER 12, TITLE 14 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO TEACHER CERTIFICATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend Chapter 12, Title 14 of the Delaware Code by adding a new Subchapter ill to read as follows:
"Subchapter ill. Special Institute For Teacher Certification. §1250. Special Institute.
A special institute to be run by one or more of Delaware's Teacher Training Institutions shall be established to provide a program for college graduates without Initial Standard Certificates to become certified to teach in Delaware public schools. The program shall be designed for such graduates, who hold a Bachelor's Degree, but who have no teacher training or previous teaching experience. The State Board of Education shall make rules and regulations relative to the Special Institute for Teacher Certification and the Teacher Training Institution(s) will set up and manage the program. There will be no tuition charged to persons participating in the Special Institute leading to initial certification.
§1251. Standards for Admission to Smial InsUtute.
Any individual seeking certification under this Subchapter shall meet the following minimum requirements:
(1) Must have received a Bachelor's Degree, other than in Education, from a regionally accredited four--year program. The major field of study must be in a content area judged to be appropriate for Delaware's needs.
(2) Must have a grade point index in the major field of the Bachelor's degree which is two-tenths (2/10) of a point higher than the grade point index required for students entering regular teacher education programs at the Teacher Education institution(s).
(3) Must meet the State Standards on the Pre-Professional Skills Tests.
(4) After earning the Initial Standard Certificate, must agree to teach for at least one year in a Delaware public school within two years. For failure to meet this requirement, the individual shall agree to pay back a sum equivalent to the tuition which would have been paid for the coursework leading to certification.
§1252. Format of Special Institute Prortram.
The general format for the Special Institute shall include the following:
(1) For the individual seeking certification In a secondary content area which corresponds to the major field of study in the Bachelor's program, it is intended that one summer of courses in the Special Institute; one-half year (one semester) of student teaching, or one year of supervised, full- time teaching experience in a Delaware public school; and additional coursework as necessary constitute the program of study leading to the Initial Standard Certificate. A Provisional or Limited Standard Certificate, whichever is applicable, shall be issued to the person employed to complete the one year of full- time teaching experience in lieu of student teaching.
(2) For Individuals seeking certification in Elementary or Special Education, it is intended that two summers of courses in the Special Institute (immediately before and after a student teaching experience or one year full- time teaching experience); one half year of student teaching or one year of supervised, full- time teaching experience in a Delaware public school; and additional coursework u necessary constitute the program of
study leading to the Initial Standard Certificate. A Provisional Certificate shall be issued to the person employed to complete the one year of full- time teaching experience in lieu of student teaching.
Section 2. In the event that there is no appropriation for the implementation or continuing implementation of this Act in any operating budget, then notwithstanding such lack of appropriation the portions of this Act which are not dependent on an appropriation act shall nevertheless continue to be valid and effective.
Approved July 8, 1986.