SENATE BILL NO. 182
AN ACT TO AMEND CHAPTER 2. TITLE 19. DELAWARE CODE, RELATING TO EMPLOYMENT TRAINING.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section I. Amend Chapter 2, Title 19. Delaware Code, by adding thereto a new section. to read as follows:
§204. Training and Apprenticeship Programs
(a) The State Department of Labor shall develop and conduct employee training and registered apprenticeship programs, in cooperation with participating appointing authorities and the State Personnel Office. The State Personnel Office shall assist appointing authorities in utilizing such programs, and in developing the apprenticeships which are established pursuant to this section.
(b) The State Personnel Director in cooperation with the Department of Labor and other participating appointing authorities. shall develop and mutually revise a list of employment classifications in the classified service which are appropriate for apprenticeship training by December 31.
(c) The Apprenticeship and Training Section of the Department of Labor shall establish procedures for the coordination of programs developed under this section, in cooperation with the State Personnel Director.
(d) Subject to the approval of the State Personnel Director and the procedures established by the Apprenticeship and Training Section of the Department of Labor, each participating agency shall determine the location and positions in which apprenticeships are to be established.
(e) The Secretary of Labor shall include in his or her annual report the following:
(1) A review of the development and operation of training and apprenticeship programs.
(2) The current list of apprenticeable classifications.
(3) A summary of the agencies and types of positions involved.
(4) A summary of registered apprenticeships.
(5) The number of persons who applied for apprenticeship positions under this section,
(6) The number of persons who were accepted into the apprenticeship programs established under this section.
(7) The number of persons who successfully completed apprenticeships under this section and the number of persons who failed to complete apprenticeships under this section.
(8) The number of persons who remain employed after successfully completing apprenticeships.
(9) A summary of other training programs established.
(10) A summary of characteristics of applicants and participants in the program deemed pertinent by the State Personnel Director.
(f) Nothing in this section may operate to invalidate or supersede the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement of an employee organization and the state.
(g) The recruitment. selection, and training of apprentice trainees during their apprenticeship shall be without discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin or sex. The state will take affirmative action to provide equal opportunity in apprenticeship programs and will operate the training program as required under the Delaware State plan for equal employment in Apprenticeship and Training.
(h) The Department of Labor shall file a report on the development of apprenticeship programs in January, 1986.
Approved July 3, 1985