STATE OF DELAWARE
EXECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER EIGHTY-SIX
TO: HEADS OF ALL STATE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
RE: GOVERNOR'S YOUTH COUNCIL,
WHEREAS, Executive Order 29 of Governor Russell W. Peterson, dated July 14, 1970, established the Governor's Youth Council to, inter alia fully involve young people in the orderly process of government; and
WHEREAS, Executive Order 25 of my administration established a Council which remained active from August 1977 to 1979; and
WHEREAS, it has become necessary to reorganize the Council into a more manageable unit that can deal more effectively with youth concerns; and
WHEREAS, it is vital that the Governor and State officials be well informed about the opinions, concerns, and recommendations of Delaware youth.
NOW THEREFORE, I, PIERRE S. du PONT, IV, by virtue of the authority vested In me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby order and declare as follows:
1. The Governor's Youth Council (the "Council") is hereby re-established to be comprised of 8 students representing both secondary and postsecondary institutions and 7 adult youth program planners from various levels of government.
2. The members shall be appointed by the Governor and shall serve at his pleasure.
3. A chairperson shall be selected by the membership of the Council at a meeting in May of each year. The chairperson shall make periodic reports to the Governor concerning the Council's activities.
4. All other offices shall be determined and filled by the Council according to Its by-laws.
5. The objectives and duties of the Council shall include, but not be limited to the following:
(a) To provide programming opportunities for diverse student populations in the State, including civic projects, educational programs, and visits with state and local officials.
(b) To prepare a manual of the existing youth service delivery system in the State and make recommendations with respect to its dissemination and utilization.
(c) To review the youth unemployment situation in Delaware with business leaders and existing public agencies and submit an analysis of the problems with recommendations for remedy.
(d) To review and develop legislation that may impact upon youth and make recommendations regarding same.
(e) To review various funding sources which may provide services at the state level for Delaware youth.
8. This executive order supersedes Executive Order 29 of the Peterson Administration and Executive Order 25 of the du Pont Administration.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my Hand and Seal this 11th day of April
PIERRE S. DU PONT, IV Governor
Glenn C. Kenton Secretary of State