STATE OF DELAWARE
EXECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER EIGHTY-FIVE
TO: HEADS OF ALL STATE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
RE: ESTABLISHMENT OF THE UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION REVIEW
WHEREAS, a financially sound State Unemployment Insurance Program is conducive to a good business climate and to, the protection and welfare of the State's labor force; and
WHEREAS, the adequacy of unemployment benefits, the fairness of taxes and the state of the economy are interrelated factors affecting the financial viability of the State Unemployment Insurance Program; and
WHEREAS, major and basic economic changes such as inflation have occurred since the last study of the State's Unemployment Insurance Program; and
WHEREAS, the Federal Government has taken action to recover the $47 million dollars borrowed by Delaware to pay unemployment benefits; and
WHEREAS, efforts to generate sufficient revenue to pay benefits, repay the loan and establish a reserve have been inadequate; and
WHEREAS, it being evident that a comprehensive study of Delaware's Unemployment Compensation Program is necessary in order to properly resolve current difficulties.
NOW THEREFORE, I, PIERRE S. du PONT, IV, Governor of the State of Delaware, by the power invested in me in that behalf, do order as follows:
1. There is hereby established the Unemployment Compensation Review Committee (the "Committee").
1. The Committee shall have the following members:
- the respective Chairman of the Labor and Industrial Relations Committee of the State Senate and the Labor and Commerce Committee of the State House of Representatives, and
- the Secretary of Finance, and
- the Secretary of Labor or his designate, and
- two persons representing the interests of the Labor community to be appointed by the Governor, and
- two persons representing the interests of business employers to be appointed by the Governor.
3. The organizational meeting of the Committee shall be held at a time and place designated by the Chairman of the Labor and Commerce Committee of the House of Representatives, and at such meeting a Chairman of the Committee shall be elected by the Committee members.
4. The Committee shall review the State's unemployment Insurance Program, (the "Program"), such review to include:
a. the statutory and regulatory provisions concerning the incidence and amount of benefits paid under the Program;
b. existing provisions for generating revenue to the Program;
c. federal requirements, both statutory and regulatory, affecting the Program and in particular current federal legislation concerning the repayment, by Delaware, of federal loans made to fund the payment of benefits;
d. such other matters concerning the Program as the Committee shall deem necessary.
5. The Committee shall complete its review and report its findings and recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature no later than December 1, 1980.
6. The Committee's findings and recommendations shall include such legislation and administrative rules and regulations as it shall deem necessary to resolve the Program's current difficulties.
Approved This 12th day of March, 1980. (GREAT SEAL)
PIERRE S. DU PONT, IV Governor
0. EVANS DENNEY
Acting Secretary of State