SENATE BILL NO. 311
AS AMENDED BY SENATE AMENDMENT NO. 1
AN ACT TO AMEND CHAPTER 17, TITLE 24 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO CONSENT FOR TERMINATION OF HUMAN PREGNANCY.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend Chapter 17, Title 24 of the Delaware Code by adding thereto a new Section 1794 to read as follows:
"§1794. Written consent prior to termination of human pregnancy
(a) No abortion may be performed unless the woman submitting to the abortion first gives her written consent to the abortion stating that she freely and voluntarily consents to the abortion and that she has received a full explanation of the abortion procedure and effects, including, but not limited to the following:
(1) The abortion procedure to be utilized.
(2) The probable effects of the abortion procedure on the woman, including the effects on her child-bearing ability and effects on possible future pregnancies.
(3) The facts of fetal development as of the time the proposed abortion is to be performed.
(4) The risks attendant to the procedure.
(5) An explanation of the reasonable alternatives to abortion and of the reasonable alternative procedures or methods of abortion.
(b) No abortion may be performed on a woman within twenty-four hours after giving written consent pursuant to subsection (a) unless, in the opinion of her treating physician, an emergency situation presenting substantial danger to the life of the woman exists.
In the event a woman's treating physician determines an abortion is necessary because an emergency situation presenting substantial danger to the life of the woman existed and such woman is unable to give her consent to an abortion, an abortion may be performed on such woman."
Approved July 13, 1979.