SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 35
DIRECTING THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL TO CHANGE THE NAME OF THE PETERSBURG WILDLIFE AREA TO THE NORMAN G. WILDER CONSERVATION AND WILDLIFE AREA.
WHEREAS, Norman G. Wilder became the first professional Executive Director of the old Game and Fish Commission in October, 1948, where he was instrumental in bringing about numerous conservation measures, all of which were aimed at conserving the State's natural resources, until he retired in October, 1972; and
WHEREAS, Norman G. Wilder received his B.S. in Forestry from the University of New Hampshire in 1939 and subsequently earned an M.S in Wildlife Management from the University of Connecticut in 1941; and
WHEREAS, Norman G. Wilder received numerous awards and honors during his tenure with the State of Delaware, some of which are: the American Conservation Award, the Charles Banks Belt Award, Conservationist of the Year Award from the Delaware Wildlife Federation, Fellow Award from the Delaware Recreation and Parks Society; and
WHEREAS, Norman G. Wilder received an Honorary Doctorate of Laws from Delaware State College in 1972 for his conservationist projects; and
WHEREAS, during Norman G. Wilder's tenure with the Fish and Game Commission, the State of Delaware acquired such lands as: Andrews Lake, Appoquinimink Wildlife Area, Assawoman Bay Wildlife Area, Augustine Beach Fishing Area, Blackiston Wildlife Area, Bowers Beach Fishing Area, C &D Canal, Courseys Pond and Ac-
cess Site, Duck Creek Access Area, Garrisons Pond Wildlife Area and Access Site, Horsey Pond and Access Site, Ingrams Pond and Access Site, Lewes Launching Site and Parking Area, Lums Pond, McGinnis Pond and Access Site, Milford Neck Wildlife Area, Nanticoke Wildlife Area, Petersburg Wildlife Area, Prime Hook Marsh Wildlife Area, Rabbits Ferry School Property, Rehoboth Bay Launching Ramp, Rosedale Beach Launching Site, Waples Pond and Access Site and Woodland Beach Wildlife Area; and
WHEREAS, Norman G. Wilder devoted over twenty years of service to the State of Delaware, all of which were primarily dedicated to conserving and protecting the State's natural resources.
BE IT RESOLVED by the 128th General Assembly of the State of Delaware, the Governor concurring therein, that the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control is hereby directed to change the name of the Petersburg Wildlife Area to the Norman G. Wilder Conservation and Wildlife Area in recognition and appreciation of the long years of service which Norman G. Wilder devoted to protecting and conserving the State's most treasured gift, its natual resources.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this Resolution be made a part of the Senate and House Journals and that a copy be forwarded to the Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control and a copy to Norman G. Wilder.
Approved July 9, 1975