STATE OF DELAWARE
TO: Heads of All State Agencies and Departments
RE: Establishment of the Division of Services to Children and Youth Within the Department of Health and Social Services
WHEREAS, pursuant to Title 29, Delaware Code §7903 (g)
"The Secretary may:
. . . (g) Establish, consolidate, abolish, transfer or combine the powers, duties and functions of the divisions, subdivisions and offices within the Department as the Secretary, with the written approval of the Governor, may deem necessary, providing that all powers, duties and functions required by law shall be provided for and maintained.. .";
WHEREAS, the Secretary of the Department of Health and Social Services has concluded that it is necessary that a Division of Services to Children and Youth be created; and
WHEREAS, it is desirable that this action be officially noted and formally recognized by Executive Order; and
WHEREAS, the needs of the children and youth of Delaware must be met on a comprehensive basis through cooperation of both public and private agencies;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT, Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby declare and order as follows:
(1) The Division of Services to Children and Youth is created in the Department of Health and Social Services.
(2) The purpose of the Division is to assess, plan, coordinate, develop and stimulate services to children and youth.
(3) The Director of this Division shall be qualified through experience and training to manage the office.
(4) The Division will appraise itself of all public and private agencies whose interests lie in the well-being of our State's children and youth and coordinate its efforts with such agency and/or division of State Government.
(5) The Director shall furnish to the Governor and the Secretary of the Department of Health and Social Services monthly progress reports.
(6) The Governor shall appoint a seven-member council whose function will be to assist the Director. Three members of the permanent council shall be appointed to serve for three-year terms, one of whom shall be designated as Chairman; two members shall be appointed to serve two-year terms; and two members shall be appointed to serve a one-year term. Unexpired terms will be filled by the Governor for the remainder of that term. The council shall have no more than a simple majority of members of the same political party, and its members may be reappointed and shall continue to serve until their replacement has been appointed. Appointment of non-voting members of the council is approved if the council finds a need for additional citizen participation.
APPROVED this 27 day of November, 1974.
SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT
ROBERT H. REED
Secretary of State
Secretary of the Department of Health and Social Services