STATE OF DELAWARE
TO: Heads of All State Departments and Agencies
RE: The Establishment of the Governor's Task Force to Propose Changes in the Elementary Unit (Class Size)
WHEREAS, quality education of our young people is one of our highest priorities; and
WHEREAS, the pupil-teacher ratio of class size is often reflective of the ability of the learning process to function properly; and
WHEREAS, there is a continuing need to reexamine and review proposals as to the elementary unit;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT, by the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby declare and order as follows:
1. A Task Force to Propose Changes in the Elementary Unit is hereby established.
2. The Task Force is charged with the responsibility of examining and reviewing proposals on reduction of the elementary unit on a scheduled basis; such examination to include review and analysis of the educational benefits accruing to the younger child by reducing pupil/teacher ratios and should include its relationship to the overall improvement of the Delaware educational process. The scope of the financial projection should include the period Fiscal 1976 through Fiscal 1979.
3. The Task Force may investigate elementary unit policy of the states as well as hold meetings and seminars throughout the State to receive opinions from our citizens.
4. The Task Force shall submit its recommendations to the Governor by April 1, 1975 as well as a draft of legislation necessary to implement its recommendations, if any.
5. The Task Force shall initially consist of 22 members who shall be appointed as follows:
(a) 4 members of the Delaware State Senate to be designated by the President Pro Tempore-designate of the 128th General Assembly, 2 from each political party.
(b) 4 members of the House of Representatives to be designated by the Speaker of the House-Designate of the 128th General Assembly, 2 from each political party.
(c) The Superintendent of Public Instruction
(d) 1 member of the Delaware School Boards Association
(e) 1 Chief School Officer
(f) The Budget Director
(g) 1 member of the Delaware Assoc. of School Administrators
(h) 1 member of the Delaware State Education Association
() 1 member of the Delaware Federation of Teachers
(a) 2 members of the Delaware Congress of Parents and Teachers
(b) The President, Delaware State Board of Education
(1) 3 classroom teachers — one from each of the three counties
(m) The Dean, College of Education, University of Delaware
6. The Task Force shall have initially 3 members appointed as ex-officio members as follows:
(a) The Executive Director of the Delaware School Boards Association
(b) The Executive Director of the Delaware Association of School Administrators
(c) The Executive Director of the Delaware State Education Association
7. Subsequently and without delaying the initiation of the Task Force's work, the Governor may at the request of the Task Force appoint further members as he may choose up to the number of 10 without further need to issue an Executive Order.
8. The Chairman of the Task Force to Propose Changes in the Elementary Unit (Class-Size) shall be the Budget Director.
9. The Vice Chairman of the Task Force shall be designated by a majority of the members of the Task Force.
Approved this 3rd day of December, 1974.
SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT
ROBERT H: REED
Secretary of State