STATE OF DELAWARE
TO: Heads of all State Departments and Agencies
RE: Establishment of a Governor's Task Force on Cost-of-Living Pay Increase Formulas
WHEREAS, inflation in Delaware, as well as the nation, continues unabated; and
WHEREAS, the State continually faces increased salary demands from its employees; and
WHEREAS, the granting of such salary adjustments is often unfairly coupled with a tax increase; and
WHEREAS, knowledge of budgetary requirements for salaries is an absolute necessity for good financial planning; and
WHEREAS, all employees of the State of Delaware should be compensated on an equitable basis; and
WHEREAS, the use of cost-of-living formulas on which to base salary schedules has gained widespread use in industry;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT, by the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby declare and order as follows:
1. There is created a Governor's Task Force on Cost-of-Living Pay Increase Formulas, whose primary task will be to review all pay scales used in compensating state employees, recommend any required changes in such pay scales, analyze various cost-of-living formulas to determine the most feasible for use by the State, price the cost of the formula for the following three fiscal years, and draft legislation for implementation of the formula if adoption is recommended.
2. The Task Force will also be responsible for developing revenue measures as necessary to underwrite the proposed formula.
3. The Task Force on Cost-of-Living Pay Increase Formulas will consist of representatives of the following agencies and organizations:
Executive Office of the Governor
Office of the Budget Director
Office of State Planning
Office of State Personnel
Department of Finance
Department of Labor
Office of Controller General
State Board of Education
Delaware State Education Association
Delaware Federation of Teachers
Council 81, American Federation of State, County, and
4. The Governor shall appoint four members of the 127th General Assembly to the Task Force: 2 members of the House of Representatives - one from each political party and 2 members of the Senate - one from each political party.
5. The Task Force will be responsible to report its findings and recommendations to me not later than April 1, 1975.
Approved this 30th day of September, 1974.
SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT
ROBERT H. REED
Secretary of State