STATE OF DELAWARE
TO: Heads of All State Agencies and Departments
RE: Council For Women
WHEREAS, there is a continuing need to further the equal opportunity and advancement in social, political, legal, economic and educational realms for all women and men; and
WHEREAS, while Federal and State Civil Rights Laws have been enacted during the past decades to assure such equality, many individuals and institutions have been less than diligent in meeting the requirements of these laws to the extent that equal opportunity for all people is not yet a reality; and
WHEREAS, the denial of equal access to opportunities for development and growth has permitted discrimination to continue in a variety of forms; and
WHEREAS, this discrimination often is directed at women who deserve and are rightfully entitled to equal treatment; and
WHEREAS, Executive Order No. 51, dated March 9, 1971, created the Council For Women to, inter alia, promote equality of women in the public and private sectors and eliminate discriminatory laws and practices in all aspects of society; and
WHEREAS, Executive Order No. 51, dated March 9, 1971, requires substantial revision to more effectively achieve its stated purposes.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby declare and order as follows:
1. Executive Order No. 51, dated March 9, 1971, is rescinded.
2. A Council For Women is herewith created for the purpose of attaining equality for women in all aspects of society so that their capabilities and aspirations may be fully developed and realized.
3. The Council shall consist of 21 members appointed by the Governor.
4. There shall be appointed at least three members each from the City of Wilmington, New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County.
5. The terms of the members shall be staggered. Initially one-third of the Council members shall serve a one-year term, one-third a two year term and one-third a three-year term. Thereafter, all new appointments shall serve a three-year term. Any appointment to replace a member whose position becomes vacant prior to the expiration of her term, shall be filled only for the remainder of the unexpired term.
0. The Chairman shall be selected by the Governor. All other officers shall be elected by the Council.
1. The functions of the Council are:
(a) to foster understanding of and appreciation for the contribution women can make to the growth and progress of the State and nation;
(b) to encourage women to assume initiative in the removal of legal and other barriers to the realization of their basic human rights;
(c) to determine the nature and extent of discrimination in Delaware on the basis of sex;
(d) to work toward the elimination of discriminatory laws and practices in all aspects of society;
(e) to promote the dissemination of information and provide counsel on opportuniti6 for the effective participation of women in the public and private sectors;
(f) to propose legislation it deems necessary to further the quality of women and work toward the passage of such legislation.
8. The Council shall make periodic reports to the Secretary of the Department of Community Affairs and Economic Development on its progress and render such other reports or aid as the Secretary may require or request from time to time.
Approved this 23rd day of March, 1974.
SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT
ROBERT H. REED
Secretary of State