STATE OF DELAWARE
TO: Heads of All State Departments and Agencies
RE: Governor's Emergency Medical Service Advisory Council
WHEREAS, Public Law 89-564, entitled the "National Highway Safety Act of 1966", provides Federal Grants for the planning, administration and implementation of highway safety; and
WHEREAS, Section 11 of Public Law 89-564, entitled "Emergency Medical Service", provides that planning shall be made for emergency medical service to highway accident victims; and
WHEREAS, it has been determined that the State is deficient in the administration of the standards promulgated in Section 11 of Public Law 89-564, because of the independent and fragmented operation of the emergency medical service in the State by the various public and private agencies involved; and
WHEREAS, there is a need for the designation of a State Agency to be responsible for establishing liaison, coordination, cooperation and reporting among the public and private agencies in this State which provide emergency medical service so that all work together as a unified whole and comply with applicable federal standards.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT, by the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby declare and order as follows:
1. The Division of Public Health of the Department of Health and Social Services is hereby designated as the State Agency responsible for the establishment, implementation and administration of a comprehensive program to most effectively utilize the Emergency Medical Service organizations of this State.
0. There is hereby created and established an Advisory Council entitled the "Governor's Emergency Medical Service Advisory Council", whose purpose shall be to study, research, plan, evaluate, recommend and advise the Division of Public Health, as well as offer guidance to, cooperate with and assist public agencies and private institutions and organizations on methods for the coordination and effective utilization of their Emergency Medical Service programs. The Council may request and shall receive from any department, division, commission or agency of the State of Delaware such reasonable assistance and data as will enable it properly to carry out its functions hereunder.
1. The Council shall consist of members appointed by the Governor from among agencies and organizations who have commitments to and are concerned with improvement in emergency medical services, such as:
a. The Division of Public Health of the Department of Health and Social Services
b. The Division of Planning, Research and Evaluation of the Department of Health and Social Services
c. The Medical Society of Delaware
d. The Association of Delaware Hospitals
e. The Federal-State Highway Safety Coordinator
f. The Division of Central Data Processing of the Department of Administrative Services
g. The Division of Emergency Planning and Operations of the Department of Public Safety
h. The Office of Intergovernmental Services of the Department of Public Safety
i. The Division of State Police of the Department of Public Safety
j. The Division of Transportation of the Department of Highways and Transportation
k. The Delaware State Fire School 1. The State Fire Prevention Commission
m. The Ambulance Advisory Committee to the State Fire Prevention Commission
. The Ambulance Standards Committee of the Delaware Volunteer Firemens' Association
a. Delaware Chapter of the American Red Cross
b. Delaware Heart Association
c. Wilmington Medical Center
d. Delaware Safety Council
e. Delaware Police Chiefs Regional Council
f. The Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons
g. Health Services Authority
h. Community Council on Emergency Medical Service of New Castle, Kent and Sussex Counties
i. Delaware Regional Medical Program
4. The Chairman of the Council shall be designated from among the members by the Governor and shall serve during the pleasure of the Governor. The Chairman of the Council shall make a report to the Governor on or before September 15th of each year on the activities of the Council.
5. The Division of Public Health is authorized and empowered to apply for, accept and disburse grants, gifts and contributions from the federal government, individuals, foundations, corporations, and other organizations, agencies or institutions on behalf of the Council for the purpose of furthering the objectives of the Council's programs.
Approved This 4th day of June, 1973.
SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT
ROBERT H. REED
Secretary of State