STATE OF DELAWARE
TO: Heads of All State Departments and Agencies
RE: Limiting Expenditures for the Remainder of F.Y. 1973
WHEREAS, current estimates of revenues and expenditures indicate the State of Delaware will end Fiscal 1973 with a deficit in the General Fund; and
WHEREAS, sound management practices dictate that measures be taken to lessen the impact of this situation;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby declare and order the following:
FOR THE PERIOD MARCH 7, 1973 to JUNE 30, 1973
1. A moratorium is placed on the hiring of personnel to fill new positions and existing vacancies.
2. A moratorium is placed on all pay increases except Merit increases approved by department heads.
3. Expenditures of General Fund non-salary appropriations, other than Capital Outlay, shall be limited to fifty (50) percent of the total unencumbered balance.
4. Expenditures of General Fund appropriations for the purchase of Capital Outlay items are prohibited.
5. Expenditures of General Fund appropriations for out-of-state travel are prohibited.
6. The above prohibitions and limitations do not apply to the Legislative and Judicial branches of government.
The Office of the Budget will be responsible for the administration of this Order.
APPROVED this 7th day of March, 1973.
SHERMAN W. TRIBBITT
ROBERT H. REED
Secretary of State