FORMERLY SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION
RELATING TO PROCLAIMING THE MONTH OF MAY 1972 AS OLDER AMERICANS MONTH.
WHEREAS, under our traditional American concepts, all our citizens, including our older Americans, are entitled to inherent dignity as individuals in our democratic society; and
WHEREAS, it is the duty and responsibility of the United States and of the several states to assist our older Americans to receive equal opportunity to the full and free enjoyment of the following objectives:
(1) An adequate income in retirement in accordance with the American standard of living.
(2) The best possible physical and mental health which science can make available and without regard to economic status.
(3) Suitable housing, independently selected, designed and located with reference to special needs and available at costs which older citizens can afford.
(4) Full restorative services for those who require institutional care.
(5) Opportunity for employment with no discriminatory personnel practices because of age.
(6) Retirement in health, honor, dignity — after years of contribution to the economy.
(7) Pursuit of meaningful activity within the widest range of civic, cultural, and recreational opportunities.
(8) Efficient community services which provide social assistance in a coordinated manner and which are readily available when needed.
(9) Immediate benefit from proven research knowledge which can sustain and improve health and happiness.
(0) Freedom, independence, and the free exercise of individual initiative in planning and managing their own lives.
WHEREAS, in recognition of this belief the United States as well as several states have proclaimed the month of May 1972 as "Older Americans Month"; and
WHEREAS, 1972 is the year to implement recommendations which stemmed from the White House Conference on Aging; and
WHEREAS, it is the faithful and determined effort on the part of the Governor of the State of Delaware to give older Delawareans a voice in the Governor's office.
BE IT RESOLVED by the Senate of the 126th General Assembly of the State of Delaware, the House of Representatives concurring therein, that in recognition of the beliefs recited herein the month of May 1972 be proclaimed "Older Americans Month".
Approved May 10, 1972.