STATE OF DELAWARE
TO: Heads of all State Departments and Agencies
RE: State Community Coordinated Child Care (4-C) Committee
WHEREAS, research shows that training and experience in early childhood years play a major role in determining our ultimate capabilities and character; and
WHEREAS, the State of Delaware has need for more effective and efficient coordination of available resources serving young children; and
WHEREAS, a federally initiated concept, having certain federal advantages, and which is called, "Community Coordinated Child Care" (or "4-C"), is available to states; and
WHEREAS, interested and involved State Agencies, community groups, and parents have expressed their willingness to cooperate with and participate in the 4-C program:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, RUSSELL W. PETERSON, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby declare and order as follows:
1. The Statewide Committee on Community Coordinated Child Care (4-C) be established for the purpose of:
• helping to provide the best use of the existing preschool and child care resources available in Delaware;
• helping to design and develop additional services for young children;
• helping to reach and maintain the highest standards possible for child care programs;
• guiding the development of local coordinating (4-C) groups.
2. The Committee shall be composed of 39 people, of which at least 13 must be parents of children in preschool services.
3. One-third of the members of the Committee shall be appointed for a term of one (1) year, another third shall be appointed for a term of two (2) years, and the other third shall be appointed for a term of three (3) years. Thereafter, all members shall be appointed for terms of three (3) years. In case of any vacancy, other than expiration of a term, a successor shall be appointed to fill the remainder of that term.
4. The Committee, which shall be called together for its initial meeting by the Governor, shall determine the procedures under which it will operate. The Governor shall select the Chairman of the Committee, who shall serve at his pleasure. One-third of the members of the Committee shall constitute a quorum.
5. The Committee shall submit an application for recognition to the federal regional office by December 1, 1970.
6. The Committee shall submit an annual report of its activities to the Governor and appropriate members of the Cabinet and General Assembly by December 15 of each year.
Approved this 27th day of October, 1970.
(GREAT SEAL) RUSSELL W. PETERSON
Secretary of State