STATE OF DELAWARE
NUMBER TWENTY NINE
TO: Heads of all State Departments and Agencies
RE: Governor's Youth Council
WHEREAS, there is a need to more fully involve young people in the orderly processes of government; and
WHEREAS, it is vital that the Governor and officials of State government be well-informed about the opinions, concerns, and suggestions of the young people of Delaware; and
WHEREAS, opportunities which will prepare them for the important responsibilities of citizenship should be encouraged; and
WHEREAS, an understanding of the functions and goals of State government can best be obtained through direct contact and participation; and
WHEREAS, many young people in Delaware have already expressed their desire and willingness to be of service to this State.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Russell W. Peterson, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby declare and order as follows:
1. There is hereby created and established a Governor's Youth Council composed of one person appointed from each representative district of the General Assembly and not more than eleven (11) at-large members.
2. The members shall be appointed by the Governor and shall be residents of the State of Delaware and between the ages of fourteen (14) and twenty-five (25) years.
3. The terms of the members shall be staggered. Those appointees from the odd-numbered representative districts and the first five (5) at-large members appointed shall initially serve for a term of one (1) year. Appointees from the even-numbered representative districts and the remaining at-large members appointed shall serve for a term of two (2) years. Thereafter, all new appointees shall serve for a term of two (2) years. Any appointment to replace a member whose position becomes vacant prior to the expiration of his term, shall be filled only for the remainder of that term.
4. The chairman shall be selected by the Governor from among three (3) persons nominated by vote of the Council and shall serve for a term of one (1) year.
5. All other offices shall be determined and filled by the Council according to its Constitution and By-Laws.
6. The duties of the Council shall be:
(a) to meet with the Governor at least twice each year to advise him of those matters and issues of concern to young Delawareans.
(b) to promote and encourage public and state interest in the problems and views of young people.
(c) to encourage young Delawareans to actively participate and become informed in the affairs of State and local government.
(d) to represent the youth of Delaware upon the request of the Governor or officials of his administration at appropriate meetings and events.
(e) to undertake those projects upon the request of the Governor or officials of his administration which the Council feels will be of service and interest to the people of Delaware.
() to initiate those programs and studies which the Council feels will broaden its own understanding of State government and/or which will be of service to the people and government of Delaware.
7. The Council shall make periodic reports to the Governor at such time and in such form as the Governor shall direct.
Approved this 14th day of July, 1970.
(GREAT SEAL) RUSSELL W. PETERSON
Secretary of State