STATE OF DELAWARE
TO: Heads of all State Departments and Agencies
RE: Uniform Hours of Work
WHEREAS, Senate Bill No. 455, recently signed into law, and which provided salary increases for employees in the classified service, also provided that the standard work week for such employees shall be 371/2 hours, effective as of April 1, 1970; and
WHEREAS, the primary purpose of government is to serve the public, and the public can best be served by the maintenance of uniform hours of work to the extent that this is administratively feasible, and by insuring that State government personnel can be readily reached during working hours:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, RUSSELL W. PETERSON, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby declare and order as follows:
1. As of April 1, 1970, the standard work week for employees of the Executive Branch of the State of Delaware shall be 371/2 hours.
2. The standard hours of work for such employees shall be from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with a one hour lunch period. These standard work hours shall become effective May 1, 1970, to allow time for gradual implementation.
3. Lunch periods shall be so scheduled that there shall be no interruption in service to the public. In no case shall any agency's central telephone be unmanned during the standard operating hours of the agency.
4. Exceptions to this schedule may be made upon express approval of the Governor, based upon a finding that service to the public would better be served by such exception.
5. Requests for exception shall be in letter form, addressed to the Governor, setting forth the conditions and services that motivate the request, the nature of the institution or agency and/ or type of function and personnel for whom exception is requested.
6. Requests for exception will be reviewed by a special work committee consisting of the Executive Assistant to the Governor, serving as Chairman, the Budget Director, and the Director, State Personnel Commission. Upon review of their recommendations, the Governor will make a finding and notify the agency of approval, modification, or disapproval of each such request.
7. Except for approved exceptions, the uniform hours of work promulgated in this order shall be observed by all employees of all State agencies.
8. This order shall not apply to the University of Delaware, Delaware State College, Delaware Technical and Community College, local school districts or the uniformed members of the Delaware State Police. Other exceptions may be granted by the Governor, as spelled out above, if in his judgment the best interest of the State would be served thereby.
Approved this 23rd day of March, 1970.
(GREAT SEAL) RUSSELL W. PETERSON
Secretary of State