AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 21, CHAPTER 45, DELAWARE CODE, BY ENACTING A NEW SECTION 4508, RELATING TO LAW ENFORCEMENT WEIGHING EQUIPMENT, WEIGHING PROCEDURES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Delaware:
Section 1. Title 21, Chapter 45, is amended by adding a new Section 4508 thereto as follows:
§ 4508. Law enforcement weighing equipment; weighing procedures
(a) Equipment used for law enforcement weighing may include the following:
1. "Vehicle scales" meaning a scale adapted to weighing highway vehicles and possessing a platform on which all wheels of a vehicle may rest simultaneously.
2. "Axle load scale" meaning a scale permanently installed in a fixed location, having a platform adapted to determining the combined weight of all wheels on a single axle or of all wheels on a tandem axle of a highway vehicle.
3. "Wheel load weigher" meaning a compact, self-contained, portable scale specially adapted to determining the weight of any single or set of wheels on a highway vehicle.
(b) The tolerances or permissable error from true value for weighing devices utilized for law enforcement purposes shall be those which have been adopted by the Weights and Measures Division of the State Board of Agriculture.
(c) Vehicle weights may be determined by either of the methods defined as follows:
1. "Single draft" weighing as construed to mean weighing of the entire vehicle at one time by use of vehicle scales, axle load weighers, wheel load weighers or any combination of these weighing devices.
2. "Multiple draft" weighing as construed to mean weighing separately each end or individual element of a vehicle or vehicle combination and adding together the results obtained.
Approved June 9, 1970.