STATE OF DELAWARE
EXECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER THIRTY-SEVEN
TO: Heads of all State Departments and Agencies
SUBJECT: Delaware Law Enforcement Planning Agency
WHEREAS, The Governor's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice was created in May, 1967, for the purpose of considering the recommendations of the President's Commission on Law Enforcement and Administration of Justice for adoption by the State of Delaware; and
WHEREAS, The Governor's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice, assisted by many other dedicated citizens of this State, has partially completed its task; and
WHEREAS, the Congress of the United States enacted in June, 1968, the "Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968"; and
WHEREAS, that Federal Act authorizes the Administration, established by the Act, to make grants to each State for the establishment and operation of State law enforcement planning agencies for the preparation, development, and revision of State comprehensive plans in the criminal justice field and for the making of action grants thereafter for the implementation of such plans; and
WHEREAS, the existing Governor's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice does not comply precisely with the requirements of the Federal Act as to the composition of such a State planning agency; and
WHEREAS, it is desirable and in the public interest that a State planning agency as contemplated by the Federal Act be established by the State of Delaware in order to prepare the comprehensive plan and to administer the action grants thereafter on a permanent basis:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Charles L. Terry, Jr., by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby order and direct that the DELAWARE LAW ENFORCEMENT PLANNING AGENCY shall be and it hereby is created and established, and it is further ORDERED and DIRECTED as follows:
1. The Delaware Law Enforcement Planning Agency is hereby designated as the "State Planning Agency" within the meaning of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 to carry out the duties specified in that Act; to carry out any responsibilities imposed upon a state planning agency by virtue of the provisions of the Federal Juvenile Delinquency and Control Act of 1968; to carry out such other duties as may be assigned to it by the Governor from time to time; and complete the assignment of the Governor's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice.
2. The Agency shall be composed of the following members who shall serve ex-officio:
1. Attorney General
2. Chief Justice
3. Public Defender
4. Superintendent of the State Police
5. Commissioner of Public Safety of the City of Wilmington
6. President of the Delaware Mayors' Association
7. County Executive of New Castle County
8. President of the Levy Court of Kent County
9. President of the Levy Court of Sussex County
1. Secretary of the new Department of Correctional Rehabilitation (if the pending Bill so providing is enacted; otherwise, the Director of the Youth Services Division and the Commissioner of Corrections)
2. State Planner
3. President, Fraternal Order of Police.
3. In addition the Agency shall include six persons representative of the public at large who shall serve for terms of three years each, except that two shall serve for an initial term of one year, two shall serve for an initial term of two years, two shall serve for an initial term of three years. Their successors shall be appointed for terms of three years each. The following six persons are hereby appointed in that capacity:
William Hallman 1 year
Edmund N. Carpenter 2nd, Esquire 1 year
The Honorable Courtney P. Houston 2 years
John B. Jessup 2 years
James H. Sills, Jr. 3 years
Dr. Howard Harlan 3 years
0. The Governor's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice shall terminate on the effective date of this Executive Order, and all of its books, records, reports, equipment, property, accounts, liabilities, and all funds subject to its control shall be transferred to the Delaware Law Enforcement Planning Agency as of the effective date of this Executive Order.
1. The employees of the Governor's Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice, consisting of the Executive Director and his secretary shall become employees of the Delaware Law Enforcement Planning Agency as of the effective date of this Executive Order.
2. The first Chairman of the Delaware Law Enforcement Planning Agency, shall be the Superintendent of the State Police, who shall serve at the Pleasure of the Governor.
3. This Executive Order shall become effective on September 1, 1968.
Approved this 20th day of August, 1968.
CHARLES L. TERRY, JR.
ELISHA C. DUKES
Secretary of State