AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 2707, TITLE 21, DELAWARE CODE, TO SUBSTITUTE A NEW SECTION REQUIRING A SPECIAL LICENSE FOR SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS, DESIGNATING QUALIFICATIONS THEREFOR AND PROVIDING A SUPPLEMENTARY APPROPRIATION TO THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION TO IMPLEMENT SUCH NEW PROCEDURES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Delaware:
Section 1. Section 2707, Subchapter I, Chapter 27, Title 21, Delaware Code, is amended by striking said section and substituting a new Section 2707 as follows:
§ 2707. School bus driver's license; qualifications
No person shall drive, nor shall any contractor or public, parochial or private school permit any person to drive, any school bus within the State unless such driver has qualified for a school bus driver's license under this section and the pertinent rules and regulations of the Department. A school bus driver's license shall be issued to each applicant who meets the following qualifications:
1. The applicant shall possess a valid State operator's license or chauffeur's license issued pursuant to the provisions of this chapter;
2. The applicant shall be at least 21 years of age and not over 70 years of age;
3. The applicant shall have passed a thorough physical examination, including vision tests, as prescribed by the State Board of Education. Such examinations shall also be a prerequisite to renewal of a license issued under this section;
4. The applicant shall have completed a course of at least 8 hours duration of special instruction in school bus driving, conducted by the State Board of Education, which shall include at least the following subjects of instruction: school bus accident problems; defensive driving; physical, mental, and emotional aspects of school bus driving; State traffic laws and Motor Vehicle Department rules and regulations, emergency assistance and first aid; school bus care and maintenance; child behavior and discipline;
5. The applicant shall have passed a school bus road test administered by the Department;
6. After investigation by the Department, the applicant shall prove to have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with standards set by the Department.
Except as modified by this section, application for and renewal of the license for school bus drivers provided herein shall be as required by this chapter for operator's and chauffeur's licenses; provided, however, that a school bus driver's license shall be renewed annually, prior to the start of the school year at a time set by Department regulation.
Section 2. There is hereby appropriated to the State Board of Education the sum of Thirty-five Thousand Dollars ($35,000) for the purpose of implementing the new procedures as set forth in this Act. The sum hereby appropriated shall be considered a supplementary appropriation in addition to any sums heretofore provided to said agency and shall be paid out of the General Fund of the State Treasury from monies not otherwise appropriated. All monies hereby appropriated shall be used only for the purpose stated, and any of said monies remaining unexpended on June 30, 1969, shall revert to the General Fund of the State Treasury.
Section 3. The funds appropriated to the State Board of Education by Section 2 of this Act shall be available for use immediately upon approval of this Act. For all other purposes the effective date of this Act shall be September 1, 1969.