AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 1306 AND SECTION 1321, TITLE 14, DELAWARE CODE, RELATING TO STATE SUPPORTED SALARY SCHEDULES FOR SCHOOL EMPLOYEES BY PROVIDING A FORMULA FOR ADDITIONAL STAFFING IN THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS AND BY MAKING A SUPPLEMENTARY APPROPRIATION TO THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION THEREFOR.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Delaware:
Section 1. Section 1306, Title 14, Delaware Code, is amended by striking the present subsection (b) thereof and by amending the title of said section to read as follows:
Salary schedules for chief school officers
Section 2. Section 1321, Title 14, Delaware Code, is hereby amended by striking all that portion of subsection (a) appearing after the salary schedule entitled "State Board of Education or State Board of Vocational Education" and by adding new subsections to said section to read as follows:
(c) Each teacher, specialist, supervisor, administrative assistant, director and assistant superintendent employed by a district and having the qualifications required by the certifying board shall receive as an annual salary the amount for which he qualifies under Section 1305 of this title plus an annual amount for administrative responsibility to be determined, as the case may be, in accordance with the following schedule:
Years Administrative Experience
To be paid as pro-
tion 1:705 of this
800 1,000 1,200 1,400
1,100 1,300 1,500 1,700
$1,000 1,500 2,000 2,500 3,000
$2,000 2,500 3,000 3,500 4,000
(d) One-twelfth of the additional amount set forth in the schedule in subsection (c) of this section shall be deducted for each month that the employee is not employed.
(e) The Board of Public Education in Wilmington, the Boards of Education of Special School Districts and the Boards of Trustees for Other School Districts may employ:
1. Assistant Superintendents at the rate of one for the first full 400 state units of pupils and one for the next full 250 state units of pupils not to exceed a total of 2 per school district;
2. Directors at the rate of one for the first full 150 state units of pupils and one for each additional full 150 state units of pupils, not to exceed a total of 4 per school district;
3. Administrative Assistants at the rate of one for the first full 75 state units of pupils not to exceed a total of one (1) per school district;
4. Supervisors for a period of 10 months per year at the rate of six for the first full 300 state units of pupils and two for each additional full 100 state units of pupils not to exceed a total of sixteen per school district ;
5. Specialist-Psychologists for a period of 10 months per year at the rate of one for each full 140 state units of pupils;
6. Speech and Hearing Teachers for a period of 10 months per year at the rate of one for each full 140 state units of pupils;
7. Specialist-Visiting Teachers for a period of 10 months per year at the rate of one (1) for the first full 300 state units of pupils and one for each additional full 200 state units of pupils.
(f) The State Board of Education may include in its annual budget request funds to provide psychologists and speech and hearing teachers for districts that do not qualify for such personnel under the provisions of subsection (e) of this section. Such personnel may be assigned by the State Board of Education to combinations of such districts having a full 140 state units of pupils.
(g) Other provisions of this chapter notwithstanding, one
Assistant Superintendent, one Director, one Administrative Assistant and one Supervisor in each district having such employees assigned duties in the areas of business, finance or purchasing may be credited with years of experience on the salary schedule set forth in Section 1305 of this title for years of experience in public or private business in accordance with rules established by the State Board of Education.
Section 3. Section 1321, Title 14, Delaware Code, is hereby further amended by striking the title thereof and by inserting in lieu thereof a new title to read as follows:
Salary schedules for certain professional personnel employed by the State Board of Education and the State Board for Vocational Education; employment formulae and salary schedules for certain professional personnel employed by the school districts.
Section 4. To carry out the provisions of this Act there is hereby appropriated to the State Board of Education the sum of $200,000.00 for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1968.
Section 5. This Act is a supplementary appropriation act and the money hereby appropriated shall be paid by the State Treasurer from the General Fund;
Section 6. This Act shall become effective February 1, 1968.