AN ACT TRANSFERRING MONEY FROM THE GENERAL FUND FOR THE PURPOSE OF ENABLING THE PUBLIC ARCHIVES COMMISSION TO ACCEPT TITLE TO RESTORE, CONTROL AND HAVE CUSTODY OF PRINCE GEORGE'S CHAPEL.
WHEREAS, Prince George's Chapel in Dagsboro Hundred was erected in the early 1700's and is an edifice of historical interest to the people of the State of Delaware; and
WHEREAS, the old burial grounds about the Chapel contain the remains of General John Dagsworthy, who served as high sheriff and magistrate of Sussex County and who served his country with distinction in the French and Indian Wars and the Revolutionary War; and
WHEREAS, religious services have long since been discontinued at the Chapel and the building has become dilapidated and in a poor state of repair; and
WHEREAS, the Diocese of Delaware of the Protestant Episcopal Church is willing to convey the Chapel and the old burial grounds to the State of Delaware for the nominal consideration of One Dollar in order that the State may restore and maintain it as a historical site;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE :
Section 1. The Public Archives Commission is requested and directed to accept on behalf of the State Prince George's Chapel and the old burial grounds about the Chapel.
Section 2. There is hereby transferred and appropriated out of the General Fund to the Public Archives Commission $45,000. for the purpose of restoring the Chapel and improving the grounds about the Chapel.
Section 3. Upon the State receiving title to the said Chapel, it shall be under the custody and control of the Public Archives Commission.
Section 4. In the event the restoration shall not be completed, there shall be no reversion of the funds herein appropriated at the end of fiscal 1968.
Approved July 5, 1967