AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 14, DELAWARE CODE, RELATING TO SAFETY, BY REQUIRING PERSONS TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION DEVICES WHILE IN CERTAIN AREAS IN SCHOOLS AND OTHER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS OF THIS STATE.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Delaware:
Section 1. Title 14, Delaware Code, is amended by adding thereto a new chapter to read:
PART V. GENERAL PROVISIONS
CHAPTER 91. EYE PROTECTION DEVICES
§ 9101. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
"Eye protection areas" means vocational or industrial art shops, science or other school laboratories, or school of institutional facilities in which activities take place involving:
1. Hot molten metals;
0. Milling, sawing, turning, shaping, cutting, grinding or stamping of any solid materials;
1. Heat treatment, tampering or kiln firing of any metal or other materials;
2. Gas or electric arc welding;
3. Repair or servicing of any vehicle or mechanical equipment;
4. Corrosive or explosive materials;
5. Custodial or other service activity potentially hazardous to the eye; or
8. Any other activity or operation involving mechanical or manual work in any area that is potentially hazardous to the eye.
§ 9102. Eye protection devices required in schools
Every person shall wear eye protection devices when entering, participating in, observing or performing any function in connection with, any courses or activities taking place in eye protection areas of any school, college, university or other public or private educational institution in this State. Persons covered in this section include, without limitation, any student or teacher in, staff member or other employee of, or visitor to, any of the foregoing educational institutions.
§ 9103. Eye protection devices standards
Eye protection devices, which shall include safety spectacles, plastic face shields or goggles, shall comply with the American Standards Association safety code for Head, Eye and Respiratory Protection.
§ 9104. Instructions for compliance
The State Department of Public Instruction shall prepare and circulate to each public or private educational institution in this State a manual containing instructions and recommendations for the guidance of such institution in implementing the eye safety provision of this subchapter.
Approved July 21, 1966.
Note: This act was codified as chapter 82, title 14, Delaware Code.