STATE OF DELAWARE
TO: Heads of All State Departments and Agencies
SUBJECT: To Provide a Guide on Ethical Standards for Personnel in the Executive Branch of State Government.
WHEREAS, the maintenance of high ethical and moral standards in the conduct of the functions of the State Government of Delaware is a matter of continuing concern; and
WHEREAS, it is incumbent upon those who occupy positions of high public responsibility and authority to set an impeccable example;
NOW, THEREFORE, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of Delaware, it is hereby ordered as follows:
1.This Order shall apply to all personnel of the Executive Branch of the State Government, including part-time employees, members of all boards and commissions appointed by the Governor, and members of the Governor's Office.
2.No such person shall engage in any outside employment or other outside activity incompatible with the proper discharge of the responsibilities of his office or position. It shall be deemed incompatible with such discharge of responsibilities for any such person to accept any fee, compensation, gift, payment of expenses, or any other thing of monetary value under circumstances in which acceptance may result in,
A.An undertaking to give preferential treatment to any person;
B.Impeding government efficiency or economy;
C.Any loss of complete independence or impartiality;
C.The making of a governmental decision outside official channels, or
. Any adverse effect on the confidence of the public in the integrity of the Government of the State of Delaware.
3. No such person shall have a personal interest in any business transaction within his area of influence in State Government nor shall he have any private business relationship that may conflict with his public duties. This restriction shall not prohibit, however, ownership of corporate stocks or bonds bought and sold on the public market and shall not prevent members of Boards or Commissions from temporarily disqualifying themselves in the event of conflict of interest.
4. No such person shall receive compensation or anything of monetary value, other than that to which he is duly entitled from the State, for the performance of any activity within the scope of his official responsibilities.
5. Paragraph 4 of this Order shall not preclude
(A)Receipt of bona fide reimbursement for actual travel expenses and other necessary subsistence for which no government payment or reimbursement is made;
(B)Participation in the affairs of charitable, religious, non-profit educational, public service or civic organizations, or the activities of national or state political parties not prohibited by law;
(C)Awards for meritorious public contribution given by public service or civic organizations.
6. Each department and agency head in the Executive Branch of State Government is requested to review or issue internal directives to his department or agency to assure the maintenance of high ethical and moral standards therein consistent with this directive. Each such department and agency head shall promptly furnish information in writing to the Governor regarding any violation of the guides set forth herein.
7. Nothing in this Order shall be construed to supersede, alter, or interpret any existing law.
APPROVED this twenty-fifth day of September, 1963.
ELBERT N. CARVEL
By the Governor
Attest: ELISHA C. DUKES, Secretary of State