CHAPTER 470

APPROPRIATION

FOR OBSERVANCE OF MEMORIAL DAY

AN ACT APPROPRIATING MONEY FOR THE OBSERVANCE OF MEMORIAL DAY IN HONOR OF THE GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC.

WHEREAS, it has been the custom at each regular session of the General Assembly to appropriate funds to the G. A. R., Department of Delaware, for the proper observance of Memorial Day ; AND

WHEREAS, the Department of Delaware, Grand Army of the Republic, has passed out of existence and a new organization or group must be found to provide for the decoration of graves of Civil War Veterans and to otherwise arrange for the proper observance of Memorial Day in honor of such deceased veterans; AND

WHEREAS, Appomattox Camp No. 2, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, located in the State of Delaware, is willing to assume the responsibility for Memorial Day observances formerly arranged by the G. A. R., Department of Delaware ; NOW, THEREFORE,

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Delaware (three-fourths of all the Members elected to each House concurring therein):

Section 1. The sum of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00) is appropriated to Appomattox Camp No. 2, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 1955, and ending June 30, 1956, and a like sum of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00) for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 1956, and ending June 30, 1957. The State Treasurer shall pay out of the funds so appropriated such sums as are listed on itemized vouchers duly signed and approved by the proper officials of Appomattox Camp No. 2, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.

Section 2. The money hereby appropriated shall be used for the decoration of graves of deceased veterans of the Civil War, memorial exercises and observances planned in honor of such veterans, and for necessary expenses in connection with such decoration, exercises and observances.

Section 3. This Act is a supplementary appropriation, and the money appropriated shall be paid by the State Treasurer out of the General Fund of the State of Delaware.

Approved July 18, 1955.