CHAPTER 147

APPROPRIATION - UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE FOR RESEARCH LABORATORY

AN ACT APPROPRIATING MONEY TO THE UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE FOR THE ERECTION OF A BAY-SIDE RESEARCH LABORATORY.

WHEREAS, the salt-water resources of the State comprise an important asset of the State, and merit protection and expansion; and

WHEREAS, the program of service, research and teaching conducted by the University of Delaware has been observed and reviewed by representative commercial, recreational and public interests in marine resources and found to be a sound program worthy of continuation; and

WHEREAS, the provision of field laboratory facilities close to Delaware Bay, the Atlantic Ocean and other salt waters would vastly improve the quality and quantity of efforts to restore declined resources, expand utilization, answer the problems facing those who depend upon these resources, acquire fundamental knowledge of marine and estuarine water and its inhabitants, and train capable students; NOW, THEREFORE,

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Delaware:

Section 1. There is hereby appropriated to the University of Delaware the sum of seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000.00) for the construction and equipment of a marine laboratory and necessary wharfage and accessory structures, at a site to be selected by the University, for the purpose of housing continuing study and instruction on the salt and estuarine waters of the State.

Section 2. This shall be known as a Supplementary Appropriation Act and the money herein appropriated shall be paid out of the General Funds of the State Treasury.

Approved June 22, 1953.