STATE COUNCIL OF DEFENSE
AN ACT TO AMEND AN ACT ENTITLED "AN ACT RELATING TO NATIONAL AND STATE DEFENSE, PROVIDING FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A STATE COUNCIL OF DEFENSE AND OF LOCAL AND DISTRICT COUNCILS OF DEFENSE, AND PRESCRIBING THE POWERS AND DUTIES THEREOF," THE SAME BEING CHAPTER 285, VOLUME 43 LAWS OF DELAWARE.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the State of Delaware in General Assembly met:
Section 1. That Chapter 285, Volume 43, Laws of Delaware, be and the same hereby is amended by repealing subparagraph (a) of Section 4 of said Chapter and by inserting in lieu thereof the following:
(a) To adopt, amend, and repeal rules, regulations, orders and by-laws dealing with the following subjects:
(1) The government of its own procedure and activities.
(2) The health and safety during time of war of inmates of all public institutions in the State of Delaware and of all persons attending or employed in schools of the State of Delaware, including the method of meeting and combating actual, imminent, threatened or possible danger to such inmates and persons from the public enemy.
(3) The method and manner of conducting blackouts, partial blackouts, air raids, air raid tests, civilian defense drills, mobilizations and exercises, the modification and control of illumination, the conduct of the civilian population during blackouts, partial blackouts, air raids, air raid tests, civilian defense drills, mobilizations and exercises and periods during which illumination is modified by law, lawful order or regulation.
(0) The conduct and administration of air raid warnings, test air raid warnings of every classification, civilian defense drills, mobilizations and exercises and the conduct of the civilian population during and immediately following the same, including the operation and limitation and restriction of operation of motor vehicles of all kinds during such periods in any designated area.
(1) The organization and administration of the Civilian Defense Organization in the State of Delaware, including the recruiting, training, conduct, duties and powers of all volunteer agencies, air raid wardens, auxiliary police and firemen, demolition and clearance crews, fire watchers, road repair crews, rescue squads, medical corps, nurses aid corps, decontamination squads, drivers' corps, messengers' corps, emergency food and housing corps, utility repair squads, the staff corps of all civilian defense organizations and all other civilian protection groups or organizations exercising or performing any functions or duties in connection with the problems of local civilian defense.
(0) The designation of vehicles and persons permitted to move during actual or test air raids of all classifications or during any exercise or mobilization of the Civilian Defense Organization and the restriction and limitation of movement of such vehicles.
(1) The conduct of the civilian population during times of danger from the public enemy and during the threat and imminence of such danger.
(2) Concerning the prevention and counteracting of threatened or actual sabotage, subversive activities or other danger incident to the war emergency.
(0) Concerning the evacuation of residents of damaged or threatened districts and the conduct of the civilian population during any such evacuation.
(0) The maintenance, extension or interconnection of the services of public utility and public service companies and the discontinuance or limitation of such services during actual imminent or threatened danger to the civilian population from the public enemy.
(11) Any matter that may be necessary or desirable to protect the health, safety and welfare or that is designed to aid in the prevention or amelioration of loss or damage to persons or property from the acts of the public enemy.
All such rules and regulations (excepting by-laws for the government of the procedure and activities of the Council) shall, when adopted, be forthwith promulgated by proclamation of the Governor, which promulgation shall be deemed sufficient notice to all persons. Rules and regulations of local councils shall be promulgated by proclamation of the chief executive officer of the political subdivision for which such local council is established. The Council shall also have power to make and enforce any special order relating to any of the foregoing subjects directed to any individual, organization or special circumstances arising as the result of the war emergency. Such special order when made known to the person or persons to whom the same is directed shall have all the force and effect of a general rule or regulation adopted and promulgated as aforesaid.
Approved February 23, 1943.