CHAPTER 71 - APPROPRIATIONS - INLET FROM DELAWARE BAY INTO LEWES AND REHOBOTH CANAL
AN ACT PROVIDING FOR THE PAYMENT OF A PORTION OF THE COST BY THE STATE OF DELAWARE OF THE CONSTRUCTION OF A MUCH NEEDED INLET FROM THE DELAWARE BAY INTO THE LEWES AND REHOBOTH CANAL AT LEWES, DELAWARE, WITH AT LEAST SIX FEET OF WATER AT MEAN LOW TIDE AND JETTIED ON BOTH SIDES FROM THE SHORE LINE OUT INTO THE DELAWARE BAY.
WHEREAS, Chapter 29 of Volume 37 of the Laws of Delaware, appropriated out of the General Funds of the State Treasury the sum of Sixty Thousand Dollars ($60,000.00) for the building of Piers, Wharves and Docks at Lewes, Delaware; and
WHEREAS, no such Piers, Wharves and Docks have been built, and
WHEREAS, it appears from communications received that the people of Lewes and many others have for sometime been working very hard with the Board of Engineers for Rivers and Harbors at Washington, D. C., to secure a proper inlet from the Delaware Bay into the Lewes and Rehoboth Canal at Lewes, and
WHEREAS, communications have also been received from the Chief of Engineers of the War Department, Washington, D. C., through Senator John G. Townsend, Jr., February 28th, 1934, that the Federal Government feels that the State of Delaware should pay a portion of the cost of the construction of the proposed inlet or channel in lieu of the local benefits therefrom, therefore
Section 1. That the Treasurer of the State of Delaware be and is hereby authorized and empowered to expend from the general funds of the State of Delaware, not otherwise appropriated, the sum of Sixty Thousand Dollars ($60,000.00) for the purpose of paying such portion of the construction of a proper inlet from the Delaware Bay into the Lewes and Rehoboth Canal at Lewes, Delaware, to the depth of at least six feet at mean low water and jettied on both sides from the shore line out in the Delaware Bay, within the next two years and so advise the Chief of Engineers of the War Department, Washington, D. C., that the said amount of Sixty Thousand Dollars ($60,000.00) has been made available for the above purpose by the State of Delaware and will be paid over to the Federal Government as soon as the Board of Engineers will decide to construct and start work on this project.
Approved May 1, 1935.